Whoopee No.3 Free Gift - 'Spooky Snap Cards'

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

Lew Stringer

Re: Whoopee No.3 Free Gift - 'Spooky Snap Cards'

Post by Lew Stringer »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:Yes I certainly believe your experience, Lew----would you like to rtevisit this same image of the cyclops-woman today, out of curiosity? It's obviously been a powerful childhood memory for you.
I dunno. Now the subject's come up I can still remember it quite vividly 50 years later, and the fact it was destroyed put an end to it, so seeing it 'alive' again would sort of tarnish my triumph over it years ago if you see what I mean. :D

I think I was only unnerved because it was the first time I'd seen a cyclops, which is a weird concept to suddenly confront when you're that young. I knew it was only a drawing, and that she didn't exist, but the forward stare was unsettling. It's not like I've been disturbed by any cyclopean images since. Just that one.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Cyclops are great for cartoon images, though, Lew---funny, I drew a few this week, my first for decades.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:Cyclops are great for cartoon images, though, Lew---funny, I drew a few this week, my first for decades.
I've drawn a few myself over the years too.
http://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/2014/ ... kkums.html

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I bought Whoopee when it came out and I have this issue. I have no idea if the cards are still inside but no reason why they shouldn't be. One day I may come across them in my storage unit. If only I could win the lottery and buy a big house with all my comics around me easily accessible. Trying to do a checklist now which means bringing a bag of comics from safestore, listing them, then taking them back.

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

I remember being spooked by a strip called Septimus in an early 70s comic, Seven. Septimus looks after a wizard's bag which starts to wriggle before tearing open with lots of letters and numbers running around. Spooked me to the point of dreaming about it.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Nice Medievel work, Lew!

Jiffy and the Glyphs in TOPPER used to freak me out in a similar way to the way you mention, Shiner....this had tiny Egyptian characters leaping from a parchment and their running around just had a really horrifying effect on me back then..it was the jagged design of the tiny figures, or the stylized way they were running around.

I also found Sammy Shrink quite creepy----which brings us neatly back to Tezza Bave.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Shiner wrote:I remember being spooked by a strip called Septimus in an early 70s comic, Seven. Septimus looks after a wizard's bag which starts to wriggle before tearing open with lots of letters and numbers running around. Spooked me to the point of dreaming about it.
I hope you noticed the Septimus sample I posted for you on the 'Seven' thread back in 2013!

Al
Sir!

Post by Al »

Some posts have been removed from this topic, because they were off-topic and have no place here.

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

Having polished off Beano 1977 issues, my next subject was either Whizzer and Chips or Whoopee! (both1977) I've decided upon Whoopee! I'm still reviewing and cataloguing Battle 1975, so can only focus on two titles at a time. I already have questions regarding Whoopee! And this surprises me: I have no information on 'Orrible Hole' - when and where did it began and who was the artist?

klakadak-ploobadoof

Post by klakadak-ploobadoof »

‘Orrible Hole began in Whoopee! cover-dated January 18, 1975 (the first issue of the year because there was a break due to industrial action), appeared regularly throughout 1975 and 1976 and the first half of 1977, then became less frequent. It continued to pop up during 1978 and 1979 (as part of the Ghostly Go Round Feature which rotated 4 horror comedy strips) and ended in the issue cover-dated January 12, 1980. The artist was Reg Parlett.
Check out my blog about comics from other peoples' childhood: http://kazoop.blogspot.com

blaing

Post by blaing »

Irmantas, Can you tell me when the other strips ended (Evil Eye, Fun Fear, Creepy Car)? Thanks.

klakadak-ploobadoof

Post by klakadak-ploobadoof »

‘orrible Hole, Creepy Car, Fun-Fear and Evil Eye started off as weekly strips early in the run of Whoopee! and became part of the Ghostly Go Round feature starting from the first issue of 1979. The feature rotated the four strips carousel-style week by week. They all ended at approx. the same time: ‘Orrible Hole made the last appearance in the issue of January 12, 1980, Creepy Car - in the issue of January 19, 1980, Evil Eye - in the issue of January 26, 1980 and Fun Fear – in the issue of February 2, 1980 (with some reprints included in 4 issues in 1982).
Check out my blog about comics from other peoples' childhood: http://kazoop.blogspot.com

blaing

Post by blaing »

Ta, Irmantas. :up:

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

Thanks Klack for that info. You can't get this info from any other website... believe me, I've tried. Again, thank you.

geoff42

Post by geoff42 »

Within the next 3-4 months, I should be able to liase any info on Whoopee! comic from the year 1977. As regards 1978, I wouldn't have a clue. That's what it's all about - conveying info on what one knows. This site rocks! :D