Whoopee No.3 Free Gift - 'Spooky Snap Cards'

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

booksandcomics

Whoopee No.3 Free Gift - 'Spooky Snap Cards'

Post by booksandcomics »

Hi all,

Just thought I would post this as I was delighted to find a copy of Whoopee number 3 with the original, unused, free gift - a set of 36 'Spooky Snap Cards'.

As you have see in the pictures below, they have never been used. I will be listing them for sale today at 7pm (Tuesday 3rd Feb) on my store if anyone is interested in adding this to their collection - http://stores.ebay.co.uk/StaffordBooks-Comics.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Re: Whoopee No.3 Free Gift - 'Spooky Snap Cards'

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Wow---THAT sure jogged my memory!

Thanks for showing us this.

booksandcomics

Post by booksandcomics »

No problems! I was shocked to find it still inside, although Whoopee was before my time (I was born in 1987), I know for certain that I would have played with these!

booksandcomics

Post by booksandcomics »

Hmmm OK so I've just checked the settings, although I requested automated start at 19:00, eBay states a bit later when I look at my "Scheduled" listings;

According to eBay it will be live at;

03 Feb, 2015 19:07:34 GMT

Raven

Post by Raven »

Quite a nostalgia blast from 41 years ago (gasp) to see those Spooky Snap Cards again. They seemed a terrific free gift at the time, making the purchase of Whoopee! number 3 absolutely necessary.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

It was a good quality set I remember.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:It was a good quality set I remember.
I still have mine too. Artwork by Terry Bave.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Yes Lew, I thought the white-sheet ghost was a Bave giveaway!

But I would need to have seen it closer up to make sure---Terry would have been great on a cartoon Horror strip, going by these great cartoons.

Around the same time, there was a board game called Haunted House that was very popular, that had a steel ball bearing that dropped down 3-D cardboard/plastic cartoon stairs or a chimney.

Raven

Post by Raven »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:Yes Lew, I thought the white-sheet ghost was a Bave giveaway!
The Scareys of St. Marty's-style witch is also a total Terry Bave giveaway!
ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:But I would need to have seen it closer up to make sure---Terry would have been great on a cartoon Horror strip, going by these great cartoons.
He did a few, quite expertly, like Draculass and Jimmy Jeckle and Master Hide.
ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:Around the same time, there was a board game called Haunted House that was very popular, that had a steel ball bearing that dropped down 3-D cardboard/plastic cartoon stairs or a chimney.
I had that. '3D' horror board game-wise, there were also Ghost Train and, indeed, Scream Inn games.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Yes Raven, Terry was so prolific I sometimes forget about some of his output!

Thanks for sorting that out for us.

It's the 'all-out' cartoon Horror of Scream Inn and their two Horror-themed comics [well, one-and-a half, really, Shake was non-Horror!] that sticks in my memory most from the IPC comics, though: IPC were great in this field, and I have to admit I preferred their Horror themed comics to D C T's very formulaic contemporary new launches.

Raven

Post by Raven »

I loved all that, too. Draculass was from Monster Fun, though, and she could look quite fiendish for a comedy strip character. That was an interesting thing about Terry Bave - his natural style seemed so jovial and upbeat, but he was good at doing quite fiendish looking comic horrors, too (some of Jimmy Jeckle's morphs into Master Hide could also be quite creepy).

Brian Walker's style also really stood out in that genre, perhaps because it had such an atmospheric Gothic feel. And Reg Parlett was a master of it, though his fiends could often look quite chummy.

DC Thomson did finally try to follow IPC's comic horror lead with a few strips in Cracker, for example, but IPC mastered the approach.

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Yes I have stated on here before that as a kid I sometimes stumbled acrross cartoon imagery that chilled me to the very core; so much so that turning the page back to the offending image used to be an act of real courage!

An early Jimmy Jeckle transformation scene remains one of the most disturbing images I ever remember seeing in a comic, although seeing the same image all this time later makes no real effect any more.

I remember seeing a TV documentary years ago about Bestall's Rupert the Bear character, and one commentator recounted seeing an image of an anthromporphosised tree with legs running down a woody lane that absolutely chilled him as a child, and I tend to agree that imaginitive cartoon imagery---however well-intentioned-----can sometimes have the power to disturb young minds.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote: I remember seeing a TV documentary years ago about Bestall's Rupert the Bear character, and one commentator recounted seeing an image of an anthromporphosised tree with legs running down a woody lane that absolutely chilled him as a child, and I tend to agree that imaginitive cartoon imagery---however well-intentioned-----can sometimes have the power to disturb young minds.
I remember an image in a children's book disturbing me as a young child. (I'd be about 4.) The book was second hand and had been given to me by a relative who no longer wanted it. It contained themes of myths and fairytales if I remember correctly, illustrated in black and white. The image that startled me was a drawing of a beautiful woman... but she was a cyclops, calmly sitting staring directly at the reader. It really unnerved me and made me uncomfortable to have the book around the house. The only way I could exorcise this 'demon' was to ask if I could throw it on the bonfire the next time my dad was burning the garden rubbish. As soon as I saw it consumed by the flames I was happy again.

Yes, sounds like a rejected plot of a Hammer film doesn't it? :lol:

I've never found anything in a comic disturbing though.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

Yes I certainly believe your experience, Lew----would you like to rtevisit this same image of the cyclops-woman today, out of curiosity? It's obviously been a powerful childhood memory for you.

Transformations of humans into some sort of part-beast are amongst the most horrible situations imaginible for many kids, and a 1969-70 Beezer strip called Hocus Pocus used to revel in these; even today, some of these black magic-induced part human/part beast drawings by Alfred Holroyd still strikes me as nightmarishly odd, and one image especially---of a middle-aged guy with an elephant trunk hiding underwater, and using the trunk as a snorkel for surface air-------was one that definitely creeped me right out.

It was a cartoon image to be sure, but I actually wished I had never seen that image , it was that bad!

I have still been unable to track this one down, but I would be very interested in seeing this again.