Stories in Valiant and Lion

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

suebutcher

Stories in Valiant and Lion

Post by suebutcher »

Does anyone know when the "Kelly's Eye" giant bats in Italy story started in Valiant in 1965? The first episode has Kelly tied to a metal tower and frazzled by a bolt of lightning. There's also a "Spellbinder" story in Lion I'd like to trace, which involves time travel mucking up modern day Britain when electricity fails to be discovered. Instead of telephones wires, the country is dotted with semaphore towers. Was this first published around 1972?

Lew Stringer

Re: Stories in Valiant and Lion

Post by Lew Stringer »

suebutcher wrote:Does anyone know when the "Kelly's Eye" giant bats in Italy story started in Valiant in 1965? The first episode has Kelly tied to a metal tower and frazzled by a bolt of lightning.
Yes it was the 3rd April 1965 issue. I showed it on my blog last year to compare it to its 1975 reprint in Vulcan:
http://lewstringer.blogspot.co.uk/2014/ ... -1975.html

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

`Spellbinder `time story was a beauty! It ran more than six months I think from late 1972 to mid summer 1973. Final issue had the Universe about to collapse!
A Face unclouded by thought.

suebutcher

Post by suebutcher »

Ta. I'll have to start collecting Lion properly. Just having little bits of "Spellbinder" is frustrating.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I'd love to see Spellbinder's time travel story collected as a graphic novel. Frank Pepper and Geoff Campion outdid themselves for sheer inventiveness with the range of parallel earths they depicted - and I got the feeling they were having the time of their lives doing so: note the way their own names are hidden in this garage from an alternate reality where clockwork motors were developed at the expense of internal combustion!
Attachments
54j6nm.jpg