Buster Question

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

babington

Buster Question

Post by babington »

Does anyone know how many pages Buster and Monster Fun, dated 23rd December 1978, is supposed to have? I have a lovely copy but I think it might be missing the centre pages...

Raven

Re: Buster Question

Post by Raven »

Mine only has 28 pages, as do the previous few issues. The 2nd December issue - 32 pages - has one almost blank page with an apology that "some regular features of this issue have had to be omitted." So something was going on!

The 30th December issue - back to 32 pages - has the Keen and Mustard serial back with a message: "Keen and Mustard are back. So sorry they've been away!" Similar for Yorky Grit: "Very sorry he's been missing from Buster."

So you can feel certain you have a complete copy.

blaing

Post by blaing »

It was part of the infamous industral action that affected comic titles printed by Southernprint during November/December 1978

Cheeky Weekly issues dated 2nd and 9th of December were reduced to 28 pages, as well as Whizzer and Chips before the comics were put on their forced three week break.

Once the industrial action ended (with issues dated 30/12/1978 or 6/1/1979) things were back to normal.

Raven

Post by Raven »

Why was a reduction of just four pages per issue the outcome, though?

blaing

Post by blaing »

Yeah, thats what it seems.

Probably likely as a go slow then into full blown industrlal action.

babington

Post by babington »

Well that is great news - thanks SO much for this information - I thought I had an incomplete copy and was about to abandon it to the charity shop, but now it stays - and it has such a great "Christmas is a-comin'" cover too - much appreciated all!