Need help identifying 3 (Fleetway?) artworks (used by Mego)

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

Agent4125

Need help identifying 3 (Fleetway?) artworks (used by Mego)

Post by Agent4125 »

Hi, I am new here. My name is Jens and I'm from Germany :-)

I need some help identifying 3 artworks that I think have been created for Fleetway in the 60s or 70s.

Let me explain:
I collect a line of action figures made by Mego in 1976. The line was called "Johnny Action" in the US
and was also sold in Europe under different names ("Battle Brigade" was it's name in the UK).

I recently discovered that the artworks that were on the back of the packaging
(on some of the releases, but not on the UK release)
were in fact cover artworks from Fleetway comics from the 60s/ 70s - such as War Picture Library.

Here is one example (back of an Italian release box next to a Fleetway comic):

And another example (French release box next to a Fleetway comic):

Mego released 36 different figures in that line and I was able to identify most of the artworks from the packaging.

But there are 3 paintings that I haven't seen anywhere else so far:

Has anyone here seen one of those? Were they also created for some Fleetway comic or magazine?

BTW: It's possible that the original artworks are slightly different. In some cases the artworks were modified for Mego.

Thanks

stevezodiac

Re: Need help identifying 3 (Fleetway?) artworks (used by Me

Post by stevezodiac »

There were a couple of other publishers who put out war picture libraries and the frogmen picture looks like it came from one of those titles. I think one was called Combat Picture Library and the publisher may have been Pearson. Someone else here will correct me if I'm wrong.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Thinking about the scuba diving picture has suddenly brought the title Undersea Agents into my mind. Does anyone know more about that series?

davidandrewsimpson

Post by davidandrewsimpson »

Re: "...Thinking about the scuba diving picture has suddenly brought the title Undersea Agents into my mind..."

There was an American comic book called Undersea Agent, from Tower Comics in the sixties. The SCUBA art isn't one of that comic's covers, though.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Yes I googled it and found out the same thing. I had the Action Man figure in the late sixties and chose the scuba diving outfit along with the French Resistance and German Stormtrooper outfits. I'm now wondering if that picture was featured on the Action Man packaging.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Definitely not from Undersea Agent. However, as stevezodiac points out, there were other publishers producing war comics, and not only Pearson. Club; Micron; MV; Famepress etc., and many of the stories were translations of Spanish and Italian strips, so the art could be, and probably is, from European comics.

Agent4125

Post by Agent4125 »

Thanks for the different ideas so far!
I already did several google image searches for different British comic series such as Combat Picture Library.
I also looked at the cover galleries at comics.org. But those are incomplete, of course.

Are there other galleries for old British comic covers on the internet ?

I've seen a few Action Man boxes with artworks of Frogmen, but those paintings were different...

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I find Comic Vine to have a wide collection of covers - from all around the world. Plenty of American, a decent amount of British, and a fair amount of mainland European and even Japanese material. Unfortunately though, the War libraries gallery is less than half complete and the Battle one isn't even a quarter.
http://www.comicvine.com/war-picture-li ... 050-32491/
http://www.comicvine.com/battle-picture ... 050-32489/