1st Oink!

Buster, Whizzer and Chips, Whoopee, Wham, Smash, you name it!

Moderator: AndyB

David

1st Oink!

Post by David »

Hi

I know it's probably not worth anything, but I think I may have the first issue of Oink! without its cover unfortunately.
Could anyone give me any more info on this issue?

bustercomic

1st Oink!

Post by bustercomic »

Depends what you mean by the first one

I have the preview issue that was given away as a free gift with certain Fleetway comics including Buster.

It's not in great condition, but it still makes a good read

The first non free copy of the comic was on sale the following week.
http://www.bustercomic.co.uk - The World's Most Comprehensive Buster Website

You Voted For The Top 100 Strips......The Results Are Now In at Bustercomic.co.uk

Peter Gray

1st Oink!

Post by Peter Gray »

It has lost its cover due to the record which was given free with it......rip!

David

Re: 1st Oink!

Post by David »

Peter Gray wrote:It has lost its cover due to the record which was given free with it......rip!
Yeah, it does mention a record, it's got the lyrics inside the comic to it.
Stil, it was with a large pile of comics, with over a hundred in good condition and a few annuals (?1).

bustercomic

1st Oink!

Post by bustercomic »

That's the 1st issue not the preview one.
http://www.bustercomic.co.uk - The World's Most Comprehensive Buster Website

You Voted For The Top 100 Strips......The Results Are Now In at Bustercomic.co.uk

richie

1st Oink!

Post by richie »

I guess it would only be worth anything if in mint with the flexi-record still attached to the front.

...and, when the record was so good, to not have played it is a crime!

ISPYSHHHGUY

1st Oink!

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I am afraid I WAS guilty of this crime.....I was sent a preview copy of this by MARK RODGERS,I probably still have his letter somewhere.......one term in particular he wrote stuck in my mind.......'groove along with 'OINK!'

P.S. ----around the same time, I was shown original artwork for a proposed D.C.Thomson mag that was very similar in style and content [there was also a PIG theme, purely by coincedence].......evidently, the similarities were TOO obvious, as this publication never saw the light of day..........

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

richie wrote:I guess it would only be worth anything if in mint with the flexi-record still attached to the front.

...and, when the record was so good, to not have played it is a crime!
looking through old posts i saw this one so thought i'd mention that i seen this on sale on ebay this week only £299.99 doubt it will sell at that price

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:I am afraid I WAS guilty of this crime.....I was sent a preview copy of this by MARK RODGERS,I probably still have his letter somewhere.......one term in particular he wrote stuck in my mind.......'groove along with 'OINK!'

P.S. ----around the same time, I was shown original artwork for a proposed D.C.Thomson mag that was very similar in style and content [there was also a PIG theme, purely by coincedence].......evidently, the similarities were TOO obvious, as this publication never saw the light of day..........

I remember being alarmed when I saw the debut of Boppo The Hopeless Hooligan by John Geering in Topper in 1985, just months after I'd created Tom Thug, Wot a Mug for the unpublished Oink! dummy issue in 1984.

The similarities were striking, and for a while I was suspicious that someone must have seen the dummy issue and had spilled the beans to D.C. Thomson. On reflection I'm sure it was just coincidence, but I used to get a bit annoyed when Tom finally saw print in 1986 and people thought I'd imitated Boppo. Tom was created first. (Although to be fair, Bovver Boy in Target beat both of them by about 13 years. Ah well. :lol: )
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I can't find my copy of Oink! 1 with the record on the front but here is another preview issue for your delight.

Obviously not to scale as the Nipper is only half the size of the Buster.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

I've taken advantage of the long weekend to excavate my comic cupboard, spent a couple of hours reading old copies of the Comic Journal and other US fanzines. But also found the first issue of Oink! with flexi disc attached.