Batman - The Brave and the Bold

Discuss comics from around the world.

Moderator: AndyB

philcom55

Batman - The Brave and the Bold

Post by philcom55 »

I don't know if anyone else has been following this cartoon series (currently showing on Channel 5 in the UK) but for a diehard Silver Age fan like me some of the episodes are a real blast from the past - and proof that today's kids aren't necessarily immune to the charm of old comics. In particular, this morning's episode starring the original Doom Patrol (with a script by Moonshadow's JM DeMatteis) was like an extended love letter to all those fondly remembered issues of DC's 'X-Men' produced by Arnold Drake, Bruno Premiani and Bob Brown during the 1960s.

Give me this rather than the 'New 52' any day! (Incidentally does anybody know if they've done anything similar with the original Legion of Super Heroes?)

- Phil Rushton

starscape

Re: Batman - The Brave and the Bold

Post by starscape »

The Legion cartoon is pretty manga-ish. Modern cartooning that is more reminiscent of Ben 10. I don't mind it so much (though Young Justice and the Avengers shows beats it hands-down) but probably nothing in there for you.

Tried Justice League International? That's more of a feel good team-up series. I liked it.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

Thanks Digi - I'd forgotten about that earlier LSH series. Presumably that's why Brave & Bold didn't feel able to feature the definitive 1960s version the way they did with characters like Doom Patrol, Adam Strange and Metal Men. It's a shame the later seasons of B&B aren't available on DVD in the UK yet - I'd especially like to see the Season 3 finale with Bat-Mite!

- Phil Rushton

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Just watched one yesterday on cable...was very surprising But great...Haunted Tank in one epsiode then Boosters gold...also the stories were very good...
What great characters to choose from and enjoy..
will try and watch some more..

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I eventually got to see the Season 3 finale when it was shown on Channel 5. Great stuff - especially the surreal ending where all Batman's previous co-stars join him for a valedictory cocktail party in the Batcave as workmen dismantle the set around them!

- Phil Rushton

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

I love B&B. I don't normally buy cartoons but I had to track down the DVDs with the episodes featuring the Justice Society of America, my favourite DC characters.

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Just bought vol 1 of Batman the animated series...which has they say has a 40's look...
watched first episode Batman fighting a huge bat! Some nice sweeping shots of Batman hanging on to the bat by a rope...some backgrounds are a bit too dark..But it all adds to the effect..very film like..
must get Brave and Bold dvd sometime..love the silver age..and some bronze age comics..and this series shows the Golden age as well!!

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Just bought Brave and Bold dvd for £20 all of season 1 in two box sets...I just love the silver age so can't wait to see this properly..

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Really loved this and watching the first series very quickly...just amazing the characters that they've brought back...Jonah Hex for example..
The Batmite episode was very funny..and love the nod to old Warner Brothers cartoons and the fourth wall being broken..

Glad there are at least over 60 episodes to enjoy before it was stopped..
Is the batman Brave and bold comic any good...good for young children?

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

If anyone subscribes to LoveFilm's streaming service, they'll find this on there now (along with some other DC delights, including the classic 1990s Batman animated series).

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Batman:TBatB. Crammed full of references to old comics/iterations of Batman that only adults will get, yet still packed full of enough action and humour for the kids. Very well done indeed.