Star Weekly comics

Discuss comics from around the world.

Moderator: AndyB

matrix

Star Weekly comics

Post by matrix »

These scans are from the 'Star Weekly' which I believe came as a supplement with the 'Toronto Star Weekly'. They all seem to have about twenty pages or thereabouts of quite nice strips which isn't bad for an addition to the paper.

Would anyone like to comment on it? I like the 'Hatlo's History' page, Popeye is also in the comic along with Nancy, Scamp, and others.
Attachments
Li.l.abner.jpg
Hatlo.s.jpg
Dick.Tracy.jpg

stevezodiac

Re: Star Weekly comics

Post by stevezodiac »

I have a fair sized collection of American Comic Supplements going back to about 1906. There were dozens of them published all over the states - collections of syndicated strips and known as the Sunday Funnies. Some are as large as The Big One UK comic which means they are hard to find in decent condition. In the UK the Mail on Sunday published a Cartoons section back in the 80s of which I have a couple of hundred. The Sunday Times produced the Funday Times and the Telegraph gave us Young Telegraph. The Daily Mirror produced a small Disney comic for a short while.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

And don't forget the Sunday Post's Fun Section, which was famous for Oor Wullie and the Broons.

bigpete

Post by bigpete »

The Toronto Star Sunday edition like almost all of the North American papers had the funnies section in it. The best one's which for many years were almost exclusively King Features were in my opinion in the 50's. Been running since 1892 and still going.
bigpete

standby4action

Post by standby4action »

Seeing this thread revived reminded me it may be useful to others to see what the Star Weekly looked like. It took me a while to understand! I tracked down three illustrations in the Star Weekly and wrote it up on my blog