Spider-man and the Black Cat

Discuss comics from around the world.

Moderator: AndyB

Muffy

Spider-man and the Black Cat

Post by Muffy »

Way back in 1979, Marvel's answer to Cat Woman (from Batman) was Felicia Hardy "The Black Cat" Imagehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Cat_ ... der194.png

Does anyone else remember these and the '80s issues with the Black Cat? And if so what do you think of the writing?

For me, I found the whole saga enthralling. After Amazing Spider-man 194 it continued occasionally into Spectacular Spider-man into the early '80s reaching quite adult themes, Felicia's dad was in prison, with Felicia herself touching on mental illness as well as the unlikely love affair from cat-burglar, later turned heroine, to possible drowning, some issues saw her with severe injuries and more. Some of the best issues were reprinted in Marvel UK's 666 issue long-running weekly in the '70s and '80s, including issues 518, 519, 535 and 536 having some key events. (Marvel UK's Mick Austin painted one of his best covers in issue 535).

In one issue Spider-man revealed his secret identity to her - with a shock result!
More on wiki and more recently in the new film.

JT Mirana

Re: Spider-man and the Black Cat

Post by JT Mirana »

I loved Felica Hardy when I first encountered her. This was when I started re-reading Marvel around the time of Secret Wars II. There was a really great run of stories in the Spider-Man titles in which she cropped up regularly.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

I thought it was a really interesting creative decision to give Spidey a girlfriend who was basically only interested in him when he was wearing the mask: she had no interest at all in Peter Parker, and initially couldn't even bear to look at him because he was a reminder that her swashbuckling beau Spider-Man, as a person, wasn't real, but just a false identity of an ordinary man.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Not being a big Marvel fan, I missed a lot of the period so know very little about that Black Cat but wasn't the same true of Lois Lane and Superman? It always seemed as if LL thought very little of Clark but doted on his alter ego. In that case, she fancied the one without the glasses, which "protected" his identity. I suppose this is a version of a well used theme/gimmick in comics.
At a real tangent, your topic of Black Cat set me off reminiscing about the "real" Black Cat, a lovely series by Lee Elias.
However, I looked up this Black Cat on Comicvine and I'm now curious to find out more. So thank you.

SID

Post by SID »

Until I moved up north this year, I had the original Amazing Spider-man comics featuring Black Cat's debut. I loved it and couldn't wait for her next appearance.

To me, it felt like a loose parallel to Batman and Catwoman. Especially at the beginning.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

SID wrote:Until I moved up north this year, I had the original Amazing Spider-man comics featuring Black Cat's debut. I loved it and couldn't wait for her next appearance.
So why don't you still have them, Sid?

starscape

Post by starscape »

paw broon wrote:Not being a big Marvel fan, I missed a lot of the period so know very little about that Black Cat but wasn't the same true of Lois Lane and Superman? It always seemed as if LL thought very little of Clark but doted on his alter ego. In that case, she fancied the one without the glasses, which "protected" his identity..
The difference was, Lois didn't know Clark was Superman.

Have to admit, this wasn't my favourite Spidey period.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Yes, that's right, of course but from reading Muffy's intro. and some internet potted histories, Black Cat didn't always know his i/d. Not that it's that important.
Actually, apart from the occasional flirtation with the title/s, I gave up on Spidey after Ditko left.
Re. the other Black Cat, this will take you to a selection of covers. Note that after a while the covers become a bit seedy and the title changes to a horror comic.
http://www.coverbrowser.com/covers/black-cat