SPACE 1999:THE LOOK-IN STRIPS:PART 1

Details about the strips from this wonderful publication.

Moderator: AndyB

jim244

SPACE 1999:THE LOOK-IN STRIPS:PART 1

Post by jim244 »

In September 1975,Space 1999 started on TV and in Look -In.
I was 7 years old.
I'm 55 now.
Yet those strips still continue to amaze me;ten years ago I started to collect Look-In from Ebay,wow they're unfortunately not 8 pence anymore.
Due to the fellowship/kindness of fellow collectors I was able to almost complete a 1971-1981 run for a lot less than it would have cost.
I still need some issues,the journey continues.(NB: Pristine condition with Pin-Up included £8 per issue,so still not a cheap hobby!)
ANYHOW:I actually started getting Look-In due to "The Tomorrow People" strip,probably late 1974.(NB:Strip started in 1973,I didn't see the first T.P. series so only got interested in 74).
My parents kindly encouraged my reading with anything that interested me,I wasn't working up a chimney,this was not my money.
SO:As fascinating as "The Tomorrow People" were,I was very pleased when "The Six Million Dollar Man" joined the strips line up.
Then Space 1999 happened and it was generally the most exciting thing ever until my first girlfriend.
Space 1999 lasted for 81 issues.
Now:I want to point out one very common misconception in regards to this strip....
The editor of Look-In was Alan Fennel,he edited TV21 so obviously got the new Anderson strip.
In reality,Fennel had left long before Space 1999 appeared in Look-In.
The editor of Look-In at the time was actually Colin Shelborn.
BUT:If you feel any similarity with this strip and past Gerry Anderson adaptions;you are not mistaken.
The writer and artists all previously worked for TV21.
SO:The writer of the 162 paged story,81 parts,12 individual chapters is Angus Allan.
The artists are John M.Burns (the colour era based on series one plus one black and white story based on series two) and Mike Noble (the black and white era minus that one JM Burns story).

Goof

Re: SPACE 1999:THE LOOK-IN STRIPS:PART 1

Post by Goof »

The artwork for this series seems to me to be particularly good, even by the standards of other Anderson strips. I think Mike Noble really excelled himself in some of these stories, and even the annuals (which were often given to second-string artists) had very good art from Burns, Martin Asbury and Leslie Branton.

jim244

Re: SPACE 1999:THE LOOK-IN STRIPS:PART 1

Post by jim244 »

Goof wrote:
20 Dec 2023, 18:55
The artwork for this series seems to me to be particularly good, even by the standards of other Anderson strips. I think Mike Noble really excelled himself in some of these stories, and even the annuals (which were often given to second-string artists) had very good art from Burns, Martin Asbury and Leslie Branton.
Totally agree Goof and I think it's down to two reasons:
1:Live action not puppets;the art in Countdown/TV Action that featured the first Anderson show with entirely non animated characters ("Secret Service" being a mixture of the two) "UFO" was,in my opinion,a step forward from the already absolutely outstanding art work previously done on the Super Marionation shows.
2:I think everyone,be he/she builder/writer/chef/artist improves their craft constantly and by the mid seventies with "Space 1999" we were seeing artists at the very height of their power.