SMOKING IN THE BROONS

Discuss any comic strip that has appeared in a newspaper over the years. Andy Capp, Rupert, Hagar, Fudge etc

Moderator: AndyB

Old Forum Fella

SMOKING IN THE BROONS

Post by Old Forum Fella »

With smoking bans coming soon in the next two months in Scotland. I wonder if The Sunday Post will let Grandpaw and Paw Broon give up their pipes since it's now becoming a health hazzard and may encouage children to smoke just like Desparate Dan used to do. Long ago in the Dudley D Watkins area, Hen and Joe used to light up ciggerettes as well (more regualry during the early years to the end of war). Also Maggie and Daphne have lit up in a few occasions in the 40's and in the 60th anniversary book in 1996, There was a strip from 1939 which featured Horace and the Twins puffing cigars. Things have really changed from those days. I'm not too sure about Maw. Will Paw and Grandpaw give up

Originally posted by Steve on the old forum on 6/1/2006

Old Forum Fella

SMOKING IN THE BROONS

Post by Old Forum Fella »

PC gone mad I tells ya - and I'm a non smoking Scot - still theres worse Scottish stereotypes they could undertake like partying and drinking too much,taking drugs, moaning about the weather, eating fatty food and dying of a heart attack - seriously its a good question will be interesting to see what happen.

Originally posted by Paul Mcpatriotic on the old forum on 7/1/2006