Oor Wullie and The Broons - who is the artist?

Discuss any comic strip that has appeared in a newspaper over the years. Andy Capp, Rupert, Hagar, Fudge etc

Moderator: AndyB

stevezodiac

Oor Wullie and The Broons - who is the artist?

Post by stevezodiac »

Among my pile of 78 and 79 Sunday Post Fun Sections were a few from 1987. I did not recognise the artist drawing Oor Wullie and the Broons. He also drew two other strips in the section. Tik n Tok - the Rollicking Robots and Nosey Norah. Looks like the Big n Bud artist. Were these last two strips exclusive to the Fun Section? Thought I'd show them here for any DC Thomson character completists who may have been unaware of their existence. Must admit i'd forgotten all about them till I opened thses pages. Not at all keen on the artists style though.

Kashgar
Guru

Re: Oor Wullie and The Broons - who is the artist?

Post by Kashgar »

Irritatingly the images won't come up at the moment for me to check so I'll get back to you on that. From memory Oor Wullie should have been the work of John Polland in 1987 and the Broons the work of the Big 'n' Bud artist Peter Davidson, who drew the strip and indeed still does, before and after Ken Harrison's decade on it.
Tik 'n' Tok the Rollicking Robots and Nosey Norah were drawn especially for the Fun Section with titles that of course harked back to those other long-running, although by no means exclusive Fun Section strips, Nero and Zero the Rollicking Romans and Nosey Parker.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

There's something I didn't know. Having seen the comic strips, it would therefore be John ghosting Peter - the giveaway is that there's more life around the mouths!

Kashgar
Guru

Post by Kashgar »

Managed to check my records and in fact all of the Fun Section's strip contents were the work of Peeble's based artist John Polland in 1987. John drew Oor Wullie from 13/6/82 to 12/11/89 taking over from Tom Lavery, making him the first Scottish artist to work on the strip and, taking over from Peter Davidson, he drew the Broons from 28/10/84 to 12/11/89. Tin 'n' Tok and Nosey Norah both began on 9/1/83 drawn by Tom Lavery and John Polland took them both over on 12th Aug 1984 and continued to draw them till their last appearances on 23rd Aug 1988.

stevezodiac

Post by stevezodiac »

Thank you for your fruitful endeavours. Your delvings are much appreciated.