Striker

Discuss any comic strip that has appeared in a newspaper over the years. Andy Capp, Rupert, Hagar, Fudge etc

Moderator: AndyB

Digifiend

Striker

Post by Digifiend »

Is it just me, or has The Sun's Striker strip been mirroring Hull City's real life season? Both Hull and Warbury survived on the last day (although Warbury actually won their game, we didn't see the league table, but we can assume it was the same three that went down in real life). Also, both teams started the season well, but slumped mid-season (Hull because they failed to strengthen in the January transfer window, Warbury due to the Kurt Panzer split personality storyline). Hull seems to be ill treated in the strip actually i.e. ignored.

Note to Pete Nash and his team: bring back those league tables and do try to feature all 20 real life Premier League teams twice next season!

By the way, in Striker's universe, there are 21 teams in the league. It should be 22, but The Premier ended 2 years ago, and The Sun website has never removed The Premier's link from it's Fun section! (The Premier launched a blog, but it hasn't been updated since September 2007, mere days after the main site stopped updating). Maybe the odd number of teams explains the lack of a league table in Striker's Saturday pages these days.

I can't even complain about that to the creators, as the Striker website seems to be down. :? Anyone know what the folowing error message means? It's gobbledegook!
http://www.striker3d.net wrote:Fatal error: Smarty error: unable to write to $compile_dir '/home/hstrik30/public_html/var/templates_c'. Be sure $compile_dir is writable by the web server user. in /home/hstrik30/Smarty/Smarty.class.php on line 1095

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Re: Striker

Post by steelclaw »

I haven't any Striker comics were they any good?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I didn't buy them, but as well as the title strip, later issues also reprinted Billy's Boots. It lasted less than two years. When it folded to due to lack of funds, the strip appeared briefly in the Daily Record, before returning to The Sun. One of the comic's storylines was retold in flashback in The Sun last summer.

The Wikipedia article mentions some of the storylines, but virtually no info about the comic content: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Striker_(comic)

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Striker was a great comic. It folded basically because the newsagents didn't know what to do with it or who it was aimed at-an adult orientated football comic strip works well in a newspaper, but the newsagents insisted on racking it with The Beano (hardly suitable given the amount of risque material in it) and the adult football fans don't buy comics, while most adult comic fans seem not to be football fans...

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Should've stocked it with 2000AD, but you're right, it was stocked with Beano, Dandy, the newly-launched Toxic, etc instead.

grumpy old man

Post by grumpy old man »

I found a different distribution problem; like Classics From the Comics shops for what ever reason wouldn’t take it (no sale or return?). So it was only available in Smiths with their usual flair for hiding it (sorry displaying it) somewhere different each week.

It has to be said that it was aimed at a Sun readers level with all the usual stereotypes e.g. an arrogant German called Kurt Panzer.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Who a few months ago turned out to be a murderer called Klaus Gerber, although it was revenge, as the victim Gunther Vogel had just killed Klaus's best friend Kurt (which is where he got his new first name from).

I'd consider Fabian deGuisson to be another example of stereotyping. You have a good point.

:!: Judging by the current storyline (see this week's Suns), Nick Jarvis may be about to get killed off! Through voodoo, Rufus has told Vanessa something bad will happen to him and fiance Li Ming - specifically, that they won't have chance to have children, implying one of them's going to die. If Nick does perish, it'd be akin to Roy of the Rovers without Roy Race!

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

I'm going to check some out it contained 'the Kangaroo Kid' from Scorcher.

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Digifiend wrote:Who a few months ago turned out to be a murderer called Klaus Gerber, although it was revenge, as the victim Gunther Vogel had just killed Klaus's best friend Kurt (which is where he got his new first name from).

I'd consider Fabian deGuisson to be another example of stereotyping. You have a good point.

:!: Judging by the current storyline (see this week's Suns), Nick Jarvis may be about to get killed off! Through voodoo, Rufus has told Vanessa something bad will happen to him and fiance Li Ming - specifically, that they won't have chance to have children, implying one of them's going to die. If Nick does perish, it'd be akin to Roy of the Rovers without Roy Race!
You may be closer to the truth than you realise in thinking our favourite Striker is not long for this world (I'll shut up now, before I say too much).

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

So you know Pete Nash, eh Tony? Otherwise, how could you know any more than I do?

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Digifiend wrote:So you know Pete Nash, eh Tony? Otherwise, how could you know any more than I do?
I may or may not have spoken quite recently with the aforementioned Mr Nash and it may or may not have been for a forthcoming interview in Crikey! relating to a specific long running football based strip.

Given that if said interview were in the works the publication date would not yet be precisely fixed due to a combination of factors, that's all I've got for you I'm afraid. :)

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Sounds ominous... thanks for the heads up.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

All reference to The Premier has now been removed from Striker, as Joe Rock has been written out - he was sold to an unspecified club. Recent plots make it sound like Warbury Warriors are in major trouble. A lesson for Chelsea perhaps?

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

Digifiend wrote:All reference to The Premier has now been removed from Striker, as Joe Rock has been written out - he was sold to an unspecified club. Recent plots make it sound like Warbury Warriors are in major trouble. A lesson for Chelsea perhaps?
Pete Nash talks to Crikey! in issue #11, on sale in three weeks. New developments re Striker will be revealed there, if they haven't already occurred in the strip itself...

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Li Ming's withdrawn Warbury's finance, that's what I meant by trouble. Clubs in that situation in reality often fail to pay their players (not happened to a Premier League club yet, but surely it's only a matter of time) - if Roman Abromovich withdraws funding for Chelsea, the same thing will happen to them, that's what I meant about a lesson for Chelsea.