Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Recommended Newspaper Strips 

I wonder if there was such an idea as to suggest newspaper strips for others to read? I've been following this American strip online for quite a few years now. Even though it's been available to view, for free, on internet (and in my inbox) it hasn't stopped me from buying their compilation books.

The dailies used to be in black and white only, with the Sundays being in colour. The Sundays tend to be a one-off story whereas the dailies is in a sort of serial. This example is in colour, which I think is what they're doing all the time now.

I give you (after all that build-up) Get Fuzzy! by Darby Conley

© Darby Conley/GoGomics.com

Basically it's about a wise-ass Siamese Cat (with a bronx accent) called Bucky, and a dim-witted but loveable Labrador Dog called Satchel. The human owner is Rob, who works in advertising.

Bucky is full of big ideas, to match his own big ego. Most of them consist of power and money-making. Satchel just likes to eat things and give out hugs. He's a sensitive soul who constantly gets put-down by Bucky, but always has Rob to back him up.

Anyway, I thought I'd like to share this with you all. And if anyone else has recommendations for other strips that we don't get the chance to read in the UK, I'd be happy to see them.

Oh, one last point, with this being a ComicsUK site, is it ok to be chatting about American comic art, or shall I drop this thread?

Thanks, y'all!
BeanoMark.

http://www.gocomics.com/getfuzzy/2011/08/04

Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:17 pm
Guru

A couple of years or so ago there was a really zany comic strip in The Guardian called The Perry Bible Fellowship. Then suddenly it wasn't there any more. I was really enjoying it, and I'd love to see it again. Can anybody shed any light on this mystery?

Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:41 pm

It's here: http://www.pbfcomics.com/

Looks like the author gave it up. Comics are still being added, but at the rate of two or three per year.

Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:43 pm

Wow, that's quite an extensive list (the one running down the centre?)! Phoenix, is there an order to properly look at those (before I starting clicking on random links) or can they be looked at in any order?

Thanks, Swirlythingy. :wink:

Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:50 pm
Guru

Great site you've recommended, thank you, Swirly. And a book to buy to boot! In response to MMi, all I can suggest is that you take your courage in both hands or, depending on what we might call your courage quotient, just the one might be sufficient.

Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:23 pm

Phoenix wrote:
Just the one might be sufficient.

Oh my god! WTF!

But strangely quite funny! :lol:

I really must not hotlink like this, but that's funny! Good shout, Phoenix! I love them!

Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:20 pm

This is one of the very best newspaper strips. I hope you enjoy it.
http://www.carol-day.com/htl/CharlesLog ... sLogan.php
Thanks for the link, swirlythingy. that's a lot of strips to check out.
Editing this to point you all to this site:-
http://www.ilovecomixarchive.com/galleries
and you don't have to pay if all you want do is read the strips.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:35 pm

My favourite newspaper strip was Roger Kettle and Andy Christine's The Devils. It didn't last long but it never failed to get me giggling. Ratbag the Cat was a particular favourite. Happy memories. Still a huge fan of Roger and Andy's work.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:29 pm

I noticed this week that Andy Capp has new writers. One of this weeks strips was a bit slapstick and not typical Andy.

Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:52 pm

Recently discovered Gun Law by Harry Bishop and, despite the differences in approach to storytelling in a strip as opposed to a comic, this is easily as good, perhaps better looking, as the Dell comics, Gunsmoke. There just doesn't appear to be many reprints available.

Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:30 pm

Paw

Re: "...Recently discovered Gun Law by Harry Bishop and, despite the differences in approach to storytelling in a strip as opposed to a comic, this is easily as good, perhaps better looking, as the Dell comics, Gunsmoke. There just doesn't appear to be many reprints available..."

I seem to remember that at least one of the Gunsmoke annuals from the sixties and seventies contained some Gun Law strips (Gun Law was another name for Gunsmoke, wasn't it?), so that might be worth pursuing

Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:46 pm

There was also a Matt Slade western strip in, i think, the Daily Express.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]