OOR WULLIE

Discuss any comic strip that has appeared in a newspaper over the years. Andy Capp, Rupert, Hagar, Fudge etc

Moderator: AndyB

Old Forum Fella

OOR WULLIE

Post by Old Forum Fella »

I'm just curious, are the Oor Wullie annualsfeaturing Dudley D Watkins artwork worth anything? Also, what was the earliest date Watkins signed his work? Plus, why was the 1977 annual in mostly English rather than the broad Scottish accent used in it today? Was it because DCT feared it would be hard to understand and if so why did it change? Lol, that's enough questions for now! ;-)

Originally posted by David on the old forum on 23/2/2006

Old Forum Fella

OOR WULLIE

The earliest signed work was Broons book no. 1 welcome page as "Watty".

Originally posted by Shiner on the old forum on 23/2/2006

Old Forum Fella

OOR WULLIE

Don't know if this sheds any light on it but the 77 oor wullie annual was the first time i'd seen the broons-

found the annual in john menzies reduced after christmas and they had a shedload of them. didn't see another oor wullie for years so maybe it was an attempt to push the broons in the south (well, the midlands in my case).

goes without saying that the artwork was uniformly terrific...

Originally posted by HighAndMighty on the old forum on 24/2/2006

Old Forum Fella

OOR WULLIE

here it is...
http://i16.ebayimg.com/01/i/06/45/cd/f4_3.JPG

Originally posted by Shiner on the old forum on 24/2/2006

Old Forum Fella

OOR WULLIE

Just an aside the language used in these books is based on doric an North East dialect (ie from Dundee -Aberdeen ish areas)and not the better known form of Scottish (ie Glaswegian) that most folk associate with Scotland. Watkins was a great artist loved his Biffo and Ginger work

Originally posted by Alba Bob on the old forum on 28/2/2006