The Drowned World

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Peter Gray

The Drowned World

Post by Peter Gray »

The Drowned World
Launched: 27th June 1964

Ended: 17th October 1964

Comic Launched In: Buster

Other Comics: None

Artwork: Solano Lopez
Script - H Kenneth Bulmer from bustercomics.co.uk website

Buying the Steel Claw today I was intrigued by Ken Bulmer writer for this feature...what was the story about?

hmm after the grest flood of London I seem to like Sci-fi disaster adventure stories :)

Kashgar
Guru

The Drowned World

Post by Kashgar »

Hi Peter, This strip was about a colonising group of aliens coming to Earth and starting to melt the Polar ice in order that the planet would end up covered in warm water, their own living environment of choice. The main heroes of the strip were Prof Furness and salvage expert Tug Tempest. Also, despite the title, most of the action in the strip took place in Britain and around London in particular so the connection with 'The Great Flood' is quite strong.
Other Buster strips that explored the theme of humankind up against the elements would also have to include the 1962 strip 'The Frozen Summer' (which later appeared in Valiant in 1967 as 'When Britain Froze'). Then if your looking for stories in which flora and fauna threaten the human race you've got 'The Creeping Peril' in 1962 ( similar in lots of ways to the Dandy strip 'The Red Wrecker') reprinted in the 1969 Valiant annual as 'The Slithering Menace' and the giant bug story 'Peril from Below' in 1968 which was itself actually a reprint from Knockout in 1962.

Peter Gray

The Drowned World

Post by Peter Gray »

thanks Kashgar..makes me want to get hold of some early Busters..

it shows that the melting of the icecaps and warming up the earth is not a new idea...

I'm enjoying the great flood of London in Classics...saves me a lot of money..catching the lions in the lift is classic..