If you could bring back 1 UK Comic which 1 would it be?

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

standby4action

Re: If you could bring back 1 UK Comic which 1 would it be?

Post by standby4action »

Talking of Whizzer and Chips, may I ask a favour? A friend was telling me he had a letter published in the early run of Whizzer and Chips in which he wrote about the quantity of exclamation marks that appeared in a previous issue or story! <<< (had to do that!)

His name is Michael Jack. I'd be grateful if anyone could tell me the issue and if they had a scan...!! Thanks and apologies for hijacking this topic

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

So with TV21 coming back for one issue that's the wish of some of us granted. :up:
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

SID

Post by SID »

Lew Stringer wrote:So with TV21 coming back for one issue that's the wish of some of us granted. :up:
It was a good comic too. So much so that I would have placed a regular subscription for it.

However I couldn't but because I had ordered the box set containing the comic and there was no more issues forthcoming, I judged it was applicable for my personal comic collection (which contains an issue of every comic I ever had on order/got regularly). I had to buy a second box set which was expensive but then again I don't smoke. :)
Last edited by SID on 01 Aug 2016, 08:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I see over on Amazon there is a HUGE market for 'upgraded' versions of 60s/70s music on vinyl/cd which has a passionate, rabid following by audiophiles, easily on par with the most ardent comics enthusiasts here on this comic paper forum.......these vinyl sets are changing hands for princely sums, there is clearly a market for selling 'quality' music discs of period pop-art atrefacts to people of our generation [and also to younger enthusiasts].

This begs the question: if big business was to put out 'deluxe' versions of period/ vintage UK comics material [say, the entire run of 50s BEANO scanned properly and 'restored' to the best level possible ] and released onto a consistent, non-pirated disc set ' would this create a market acceptable to both seller and buyer?

[published book versions on this sort of ambitious scale scale are not viable: just too costly/not enough potential buyers, so it would have to be digital or nothing].

Just sayin'.......

SID

Post by SID »

Sounds good, Ispy but I see one problem with buying them on CDs. Not much good if you want to read them on your tablet or phone. Especially if you don't have a PC which not everybody do these days.

Maybe if the company concerned (e.g. DCT) sold them as downloads on their website so you could download and view on any device. Also that means you don't have to wait for the CD to arrive.

The problem I could see there is what would stop an unscrupulous individual from buying the original file and then selling his own copies???
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Greavsie

Post by Greavsie »

Interesting question.

My head says it would be useful to bring back Deadline, or something like it, in an attempt to kickstart a new interest in comics and to make them cool again, whilst providing a showcase for the cream of Britain's alternative (ie: not in 2000 AD or The Beano) talents.

However, my heart would love to see the return of Cheeky; not only for the sentimental value it holds for me personally, but also because I think it a format that would work better nowadays than many of the other 'children's humour' titles.
I realise that many of the characters would probably require changing, the gags would need updating and that even the title of the comic/name of the protagonist would probably be reviewed to fit into a more suitable contemporary context. In fact, the relaunched title would be virtually indistinguishable from the original, for many different reasons (and not all good!). It's a nice thought, anyway.

SID

Post by SID »

SID (in 25/10/2011) wrote:
25 Oct 2011, 21:08
And if I am greedy, from DCT's arsenal, a mini-Victor or Hotspur in the same style/format as Commando featuring all of DCT's classic characters.
And who says miracles can never happen? Not a separate title but near enough. Have even started a special Commando collection featuring DCT's classic characters. :up:

And who knows? If it is successful, DCT could actually bring out a regular Heritage comic. :xfingers: