If you could bring back 1 UK Comic which 1 would it be?

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

tony ingram

Re: If you could bring back 1 UK Comic which 1 would it be?

Post by tony ingram »

colcool007 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:Either Whoopee! or Star-Lord.
Tony, Starlord was fantastic. I would have to go either with that or with Tornado. My heart would love to say Crunch as it was getting better towards the end, but Tornado was getting awesome in my mind.
I liked The Crunch too, but yeah, Tornado was the better of those two, Neither ever came close to the level of sheer quality of Star-Lord, though (even if Tornado did have one of my favourite characters, Wolfie Smith).

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Wolfie Smith was definitely on the top end of the awesome scale at the time and the Vanyo artwork just worked so well. A pity it hasn't aged so well.

I loved Wagner's Walk. At the time, it was one of my favourite stories. What am I saying? It still is! And Angry Planet just looked... words fail me, but it was just WOW!

I am trying to think of a bad story from Starlord but it just isn't coming. I thought Timequake was badly under-used and I would have enjoyed seeing it continue into 2000AD. Ro-Busters was quite frankly light years ahead of the time and still looks good today. As evinced by the Ro-Busters collection. :D

I am going to go and sulk in the corner now as I really want to see those comics. I know all three I have mentioned have barely 100 issues between them, but they were just so good.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

colcool007 wrote:Wolfie Smith was definitely on the top end of the awesome scale at the time and the Vanyo artwork just worked so well. A pity it hasn't aged so well.

I loved Wagner's Walk. At the time, it was one of my favourite stories. What am I saying? It still is! And Angry Planet just looked... words fail me, but it was just WOW!

I am trying to think of a bad story from Starlord but it just isn't coming. I thought Timequake was badly under-used and I would have enjoyed seeing it continue into 2000AD. Ro-Busters was quite frankly light years ahead of the time and still looks good today. As evinced by the Ro-Busters collection. :D
Actually, Timequake did continue in 2000AD, briefly; it just took a few months for it to show up!

I am going to go and sulk in the corner now as I really want to see those comics. I know all three I have mentioned have barely 100 issues between them, but they were just so good.
Less than 100 isues, in fact: Tornado and Star-Lord lasted 22 issues apiece, and The Crunch for 54.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

tony ingram wrote:Actually, Timequake did continue in 2000AD, briefly; it just took a few months for it to show up!
I can't remember reading that. What issues was it in?
tony ingram wrote:Less than 100 isues, in fact: Tornado and Star-Lord lasted 22 issues apiece, and The Crunch for 54.
But if you count Annuals (3 for Starlord and 2 for Tornado) and Summer Specials (1 each for Tornado and Summer Special), the three of them sneak over! :lol: Admittedly the annuals were not of the same calibre as the comics and that is being generous.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

colcool007 wrote:
tony ingram wrote:Actually, Timequake did continue in 2000AD, briefly; it just took a few months for it to show up!
I can't remember reading that. What issues was it in?
It started in prog #148, I think. I'm not sure how long it ran for but it was only the one storyline so a few weeks at most.

Actually, I quite liked the Tornado Annuals. The Star-Lord ones were admittedly pretty dodgy (some atrocious art on Strontium Dog in the first one, if I remember right) but the 1982 one did have that fantastic (and fantastastically irrelevant) cover pic of Blake's 7's Liberator!
Last edited by tony ingram on 12 Mar 2012, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.

blackpuddingbertha

Post by blackpuddingbertha »

Krazy - still the greatest comic I've ever read!

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Terry wrote:No surprise from me, it would have to be Striker
I do agree that it would be great to see Eric, Nick and the Warbury Warriors return but how would you want it to return.

Would you like to see Striker return as it was before or would you like it to move on to a whole new era as the characters age in it.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Definitely an Eagle mk3. The Dangerous Book for Boys and Little Book of Patriotism prove that actually, in the real world, people do still buy old-fashioned stiff upper lip type publications, in thier millions. And not even when they are "parodies" as the ill-brained insist everything in that line "has" to be these days.
Mind you I'd do it closer to the original Eagle and not like the 80's version. I doubt Mr Morris would have approved of Doomlord!

Mind you where would that leave Spaceship Away?

Or else Victor, in the form of a "weekly half tabloid Commando" with a few colour stories as well as black and white ones (hmm, I wonder if Strip Magazine will enforce a "must be colour" policy?)

Also, more Graffix!

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

felneymike wrote:Definitely an Eagle mk3. The Dangerous Book for Boys and Little Book of Patriotism prove that actually, in the real world, people do still buy old-fashioned stiff upper lip type publications, in thier millions. And not even when they are "parodies" as the ill-brained insist everything in that line "has" to be these days.
Mind you I'd do it closer to the original Eagle and not like the 80's version. I doubt Mr Morris would have approved of Doomlord!
The late Reverend Morris's potential objections aside, I personally would have to insist on Doomlord's inclusion! The servant of Nox was the best thing about the 80's Eagle revival, even in his much maligned photo-strip incarnation.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

It'll be you that gets haunted! :lol:

Terry

Post by Terry »

Gilly wrote:
Terry wrote:No surprise from me, it would have to be Striker
I do agree that it would be great to see Eric, Nick and the Warbury Warriors return but how would you want it to return.

Would you like to see Striker return as it was before or would you like it to move on to a whole new era as the characters age in it.
Probably a bit of both, starting off where it ended in Nuts, but then moving on, as Striker did most of the time anyway, for me although I did enjoy the humour in the strip, Striker's attraction for me was that it was mostly real life and characters did age, and move on from Warbury, if it was to return I wouldn't be adverse too seeing Nick even leaving Warbury and going to a new club.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

I agree in parts as Striker ended in Nuts it had Eric and Nick leaving Warbury so it would have to take it from there (It did have Eric saying he had another idea so that would probably have something to do with it).

I can also however understand why Pete was worried about eventually replacing players such as Scrapper and Fabian as they are popular character's and their replacements may never be as well liked.

I guess I'd be in 2 minds as Striker does have to move on in time but I would definitely love to see it return in some form.

starscape

Post by starscape »

Starlord or Warrior.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

-MikeD-

Post by -MikeD- »

starscape wrote:Starlord or Warrior.
Y'know - I was thinking about Warrior the other day. I loved that magazine...art, writing, concept, even it's busy and literate letters page. But, and it pains me to say it, I don't think there's enough UK comic talent around at the moment, even if someone did attempt a 'Warrior 2'. I think it was just the right comic at the right time.

I may be wrong?
My new art blog...beta version... http://mikedcuk.blogspot.co.uk

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

-MikeD- wrote:
starscape wrote:Starlord or Warrior.
Y'know - I was thinking about Warrior the other day. I loved that magazine...art, writing, concept, even it's busy and literate letters page. But, and it pains me to say it, I don't think there's enough UK comic talent around at the moment, even if someone did attempt a 'Warrior 2'. I think it was just the right comic at the right time.

I may be wrong?

There's tons of talent, just not enough comics.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/