If you could bring back 1 UK Comic which 1 would it be?

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Peter Gray

Re: If you could bring back 1 UK Comic which 1 would it be?

Post by Peter Gray »

I would like to see Whoopee!! back...
or Buster..Whizzer and chips..
they are sadly missed by me and I'm sure there is an audience for them today..

DC Thomson should being back..
Nutty or Sparky
maybe Sparky with new adventures of I Spy and Puss and Boots..and the other great characters..

Terry

Post by Terry »

Gilly wrote:I agree in parts as Striker ended in Nuts it had Eric and Nick leaving Warbury so it would have to take it from there (It did have Eric saying he had another idea so that would probably have something to do with it).

I can also however understand why Pete was worried about eventually replacing players such as Scrapper and Fabian as they are popular character's and their replacements may never be as well liked.

I guess I'd be in 2 minds as Striker does have to move on in time but I would definitely love to see it return in some form.
This will be of interest to you, quotes from Pete regarding the Striker site being down, and he also says that there could be developments regarding Striker.

http://downthetubescomics.blogspot.com/ ... h-for.html

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Thanks Terry sounds interesting, I will have to keep checking back for more developments on new Striker. :cheers:

Jay

Post by Jay »

I do wish Starblazer was still on the go. I was far to young to appreciate it first time around.

SID

Post by SID »

Starblazer was one of my all-time favourites. I was really disappointed when DCT cancelled it.

But for me it would be Valiant featuring the cream of IPC/Fleetway's top characters of the 1950-80s. Particularly (and not in any order) Dan Dare, Roy of the Rovers, Adam Eterno, Spellbinder, Janus Stark, Rat Pack, Doomlord, The Trigan Empire, Steel Commando, Robot Archie, Mytek, Captain Hurricane, The Thirteenth Floor (and the list goes on...).

And if I am greedy, from DCT's arsenal, a mini-Victor or Hotspur in the same style/format as Commando featuring all of DCT's classic characters.
Last edited by SID on 30 Oct 2011, 10:29, edited 1 time in total.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

SID wrote:...If I am greedy, from DCT's arsenal, a mini-Victor or Hotspur in the same style/format as Commando featuring all of DCT's classic characters.
Oooh...oops. I think I may have had an accident due to being over-excited.

Nah, but seriously, if CFTC had been adventure based, I think that I would have been a subscriber.

Now holding all my pennies for the next comic mart.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I was creeping in that direction towards the end (running extra stories from the boys papers instead of just from the original eight comics it used, to replace the exhausted Buzz and Cracker content). I still miss CFTC. :(

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I think the last issue of Classics was also the best. Just think what they'd be doing now if it had continued, reprinting entire text serials such as The Army of the Flames or The Boy Who Slept 100 Years?

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I'm still hoping it can come back some how...probably as Retro Beano and Dandy next time..with guest different comic pages..

:xfingers:

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

:offtopic2: :offtopic2: :offtopic2:

As we are having a blitz on the house, it's amazing to read how good some of the stories were and in some cases still are. I have just had a Commando jag of about 14 old school (pre-1980) and about 14 new school (post-2000) and I can't say that the quality has dropped at all.

I also dug out some Cheekys and some Tigers (both from circa '78 to '80) and the standard amazes me on both. I can now see where my humour comes from as I have subjected the wife and kids to plenty of the jokes from Cheeky.

But to bring the post back on-topic, I can't think of any comic where I would not welcome it back. Now that reminds me, I must order my copy of STRIP! In a plain brown envelope of course... :coat:
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

Oink!

As much as I love The Dandy (and I do - I've bought more issues of the new Dandy as a 30-odd year old than I ever bought of the old-style Dandy as a child) it's still a bit "nice" when compared to scuzzy, punky Oink!

SID

Post by SID »

colcool007 wrote:
SID wrote:...If I am greedy, from DCT's arsenal, a mini-Victor or Hotspur in the same style/format as Commando featuring all of DCT's classic characters.
Oooh...oops. I think I may have had an accident due to being over-excited.

Nah, but seriously, if CFTC had been adventure based, I think that I would have been a subscriber.

Now holding all my pennies for the next comic mart.

Agreed! :D

Also would love an IPC/Fleetway version as well.
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

PaulTwist wrote:Oink!

As much as I love The Dandy (and I do - I've bought more issues of the new Dandy as a 30-odd year old than I ever bought of the old-style Dandy as a child) it's still a bit "nice" when compared to scuzzy, punky Oink!
Would love to read an issue of Oink. The comic was before my time but it sounds exactly my kind of humour. :lol:

SID

Post by SID »

Going through my collections - particularly DCT, I still think it would be a great idea if a pocket-size comic came out to compliment Commando featuring DCT's legendary characters (such as Morgyn the Mighty, King Cobra, etc...) in either classic or even brand new stories.

Whether the kids would like it, I don't know. But the dads would! :D

tony ingram

Post by tony ingram »

I loved King Cobra. Superheroes in old British titles were all so wonderfully demented. Anyone remember X-Bow the motorcycling archer from Hotspur?