Comic Relief Comic

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

TwoHeadedBoy

Comic Relief Comic

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

So here's some scans of the Totally Stonking, Surprisingly Educational and Utterly Mindboggling Comic Relief Comic that I found on a recent comic-hunt.

The cover:
Brilliant stuff there, look at all those characters! If it was done nowadays it'd be Michael McIntyre with Ben 10 on the cover. How sad.

Roger Mellie does the introduction:
There's also a centre-spread with loads of Viz characters wearing Red Noses.

"The Biggest Chin in Comics" contest:

Dan Dare's in it:

And the Turtles, with a funny acknowledgement of the whole "Ninja/Hero" censorship thing:

A spread-paged David Sutherland strip:
ImageImage

How often will you see DC, Marvel and IPC characters on the same page?:

Hunt Emerson's in it too!:

The last page has a big selection of characters inbetween the rows of frames:
I spy the Yellow Kid, Peppermint Patty, Charlie Brown, Snitch and Snatch, Keyhole Kate, Cuddles, Annie, Swee'Pea, Bart, Lisa, Plug, Calvin...
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

Digifiend

Re: Comic Relief Comic

Post by Digifiend »

The character between Snitch and Snatch and Keyhole Kate is Nancy, an American character who appeared in the Topper at launch.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Yeah, thought I recognized her - there's a few American ones there where I know the face, but not the name.
http://twoheadedthingies.blogspot.co.uk/ - My comics blog, mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s

dishes

Post by dishes »

I have this too.

Let's try and get them all- first row:
Mickey "Yellow Kid" Duggan, Hans and Fritz the Katzenjammer Kids, Baby Basil?, no idea, Peppermint Patty, Charlie Brown, Snitch and Snatch, Nancy, Keyhole Kate.

Second row: Cuddles, Little Orphan Annie, Swee'pea, Little Nemo, Barnaby, Deed-a-day Danny, Bart and Lisa Simpson, Skippy?, no idea, Plug, no idea, no idea, Calvin.

I presume those are meant to be Buster Keaton and W.C. Fields. Of course that's Edmund Blackadder, one of the main characters in the whole story, there too.
Is it weird to have no interest in keeping or collecting free gifts?

My artwork: http://www.iancockburn.co.uk

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Is no idea a character from Little Nemo 5th along..

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

dishes wrote:I have this too.

Let's try and get them all- first row:
Mickey "Yellow Kid" Duggan, Hans and Fritz the Katzenjammer Kids, Baby Basil?, no idea, Peppermint Patty, Charlie Brown, Snitch and Snatch, Nancy, Keyhole Kate.

Second row: Cuddles, Little Orphan Annie, Swee'pea, Little Nemo, Barnaby, Deed-a-day Danny, Bart and Lisa Simpson, Skippy?, no idea, Plug, no idea, no idea, Calvin.

I presume those are meant to be Buster Keaton and W.C. Fields. Of course that's Edmund Blackadder, one of the main characters in the whole story, there too.

The unknown one in the top row is American newspaper character Buster Brown.

The black lad in the second row is Stymie (of Stymie and his Magic Wishbone by Roy Wilson in Radio Fun):
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_448y6kVhntg/ ... stymie.jpg

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

I saw a comic relief comic for sale on ebay just yesterday. It didnt sell (No bids) and I was possibly going to bid for it but I forgot. :headbash:

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy »

Yeah, saw that as well. Do a search for "Comic Relief Comic" then add it to your saved searches, the seller'll probably re-list it and you'll get an email when they do.

(It wasn't me selling it by the way!)

Tin Can Tommy

Post by Tin Can Tommy »

a search for comic relief comic appears to give the same results as searching for just comic relief though which is quite annoying.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Put it in quotes.

Bigwords

Post by Bigwords »

Reviving this (sorry).

So - does anyone have a list of who did what yet, or am I going to have to start emailing the people credited in the issue? (I'd rather not do that, as... well, obvious reasons really) What I have thus far is less than comprehensive. I still need to add in the actual cover as well, but the advert for the title is something I have always liked.

And looking at the list again, I am almost certain that - editing the information for so long - I have transposed pages, or omitted something. It feels incomplete. :(

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

The third panel of the Roger Mellie strip is rather, er, unfortunate.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Yes, it is...

And acknowledgements to John Ridgway for the Dan Dare page and Arthur Ransom for the final page with Rowan Atkinson on it.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

felneymike wrote:The third panel of the Roger Mellie strip is rather, er, unfortunate.
Well, I suppose they could just change the name of the celeb if they ever reprint it.

Bigwords

Post by Bigwords »

Digifiend wrote:
felneymike wrote:The third panel of the Roger Mellie strip is rather, er, unfortunate.
Well, I suppose they could just change the name of the celeb if they ever reprint it.
With "the kids" bolded, I have been pondering some things...

a) The comic was written in co-operation with people who were working at the BBC, and presumably heard rumours
b) It is a Viz page, and their comedy has always had an element of "cross the line twice"
c) The fact that the words are bolded. That those words specifically are bolded is a large neon sign saying "See what we did there."

If anyone involved in that page ever wants to explain the process which led to the finished page, and how they got to the specific wording - as in, did they throw around names for half an hour before striking on that name - I, for one, would love to hear the background.