Quackers Comic

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Gilly

Quackers Comic

Post by Gilly »

I just wondered if anyone remembers this little comic I've picked up on Ebay recently?

I bought it because I remember having 1 or 2 as a child and I wanted to refresh my memory on what it was like.

Quackers was an A5 pull out from monthly Quiz Kids magazine and it was just like a traditional humour comic. However this got me wondering this must have been a last try for a new humour comic title as someone has wrote in pencil June 97 which at that time only The Beano, Dandy and Buster was still running.

Anyway here are the comic strips in a list that appeared in this comic:

Graffy T (guessing a pun on Graffiti)
Dr Zitbag's Transylvania Pet Shop (a cartoon on TV from the 90's, also if I remember rightly was this in Buster for a while?)
Major Tom
Billy Boffin
Time Twins
Charlie Invisible (not)
Potsworth & Co (another TV cartoon and I know this ran in Beezer & Topper and The Dandy)
Molly Coddle
Boxatrix
Cannelloni
City Farm
A strip starring the Quiz Kids characters
PC Big Boots

In all it's an interesting little comic and while there are 1 or 2 duds in Quackers like Major Tom, I'm glad I picked it up. Also there is some great artwork from the likes of Brian Walker and Cliff Brown.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Re: Quackers Comic

Post by felneymike »

I have that exact issue kicking around, though I have no idea where it came from. It may have been in an old annual I bought in my early days of old comic collecting... way back in 2006!
I thought Boxatrix had mileage (if toned down a little he could have been a Bash St kid!*). Graffy-T looked good (by the same artist as Go, Granny, Go!), but if it had been in a more prominent publication there would no doubt have been protests.

*-In fact I've only just noticed that, in a current "cast of characters" comic I'm writing, there's a guy who always carries around a sports bag, from which he pulls just the right item to further the plot XD

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Yeah imagine Graffy T appearing in The Beano today, there would be an uproar in the papers that it was promoting vandalism just like when they suggested that Uh Oh Si Co was making fun of mental illnesses.

Both Graffy T and Boxatrix were drawn by the artist that drew Go Granny Go, it was Brian Walker who also drew The Smasher in The Dandy.

Sounds interesting this comic you are writing felneymike. :D

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Interestingly, since DC Thomson bought Puzzler a few years ago, they also own Quiz Kids, and therefore, Quackers comic.

Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Interesting do you know the company they bought it off Digi?

I'm guessing Quiz Kids wasn't DC Thomson owned in the late 90s when Quackers was around.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

It was an independent company called Puzzler Media, which still exists as a DCT subsidiary.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Pulling things out of a bag sounds rather like Hal's Holdall in Whizzer and Chips in the 80s - except usually Nigel Edwards was drawing things that proved useless! It's of course a variant on Pete and his Pockets and assorted others.