Help with publisher.

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

paw broon

Help with publisher.

Post by paw broon »

Can anyone shed any light on a comics publisher, Brugueditor, Golden Square, London. I bought #7 of Western Tales and the publisher is a new one on me. They also published "Battlefield", which is not listed in the guide . Indicia says the comics are printed in Spain and the guide says the contents are Spanish reprints. This title seems to have started in 1962, again according to the guide, which is a bit odd as #7 shows a date of 1967 and the info. that there are 2 issues published every month. Apart from these 2 pocket libraries, anyone know what other comics they published, if any? The colophon on the cover is a stylised eb.
All help greatly appreciated..

Digifiend

Re: Help with publisher.

Post by Digifiend »

The guide almost certainly got the year wrong. Issue 13 was still 1967, which would tally with a 24 issues a year schedule. Unless, there were two volumes of this title?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Tales-N ... 1035344433?

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Yes, the British comic guide has many errors - and omissions. But thanks for the help. I am now working on the principal that the date is wrong in the guide but I can find nothing on the interweb about the publisher and the ebay entry you found , plus this one from the same co.:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Western-Tales ... 6b62bseems seem to be the only ones. I'm not getting very far :(
Just stumbled across a listing for another title from the co. Espionage. This publisher seems similar to a few other small comics publishers from the same era.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

paw broon wrote:Can anyone shed any light on a comics publisher, Brugueditor, Golden Square, London.
I'm not sure I can be any real help, but I suspect that the Brugue part of Brugueditor is a shortened form of Bruguera, a Barcelona publishing house with branches in Bogota, Buenos Aires and Caracas. In Spanish editor means publisher not editor. I have a compilation volume about Pepe Gotera y Otilio, two thoroughly incompetent workmen who caused chaos over two pages on a regular basis. I think Mortadelo y Filemon were Bruguera characters too. The book dates from 1971 but the characters I mentioned are from a much earlier period, late-fifties at a guess. I'm posting the inside front and rear covers as they display a number of other characters on the offchance that you may recognise one or two, Paw.
Attachments
PepeGotera3.jpg
PepeGotera4.jpg

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

I do believe you've cracked it, Phoenix. Same in Italian for editoriale. This piece on tebeosfera might be of interest to you:-
http://www.tebeosfera.com/entidades/edi ... a_s_a.html
You will see that they reprinted The Spider as well.
M&F were indeed Bruguera characters, and very famous.
So, if this is the same lot, or a branch, you can add the London address to your list. Unfortunately, none of the sites have any info. about a British arm.
So, uless anyone can come up with other ideas, I'll assume that the British pocket libraries are by a branch of Bruguera. TA-DA. :D

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

paw broon wrote:This piece on tebeosfera might be of interest to you:-
http://www.tebeosfera.com/entidades/edi ... a_s_a.html
Thank you for that link, Paw. I've bookmarked the page. It certainly brought back some memories of my various visits to Madrid, long and short from undergraduate days onwards. Over the years I've bought the likes of DDT, Tio Vivo, Can Can, Zipi y Zape, and the others I mentioned earlier. I also recall seeing Pulgarcito (Tom Thumb), Los siete enanos y Blancanieves (Snow White and the seven dwarfs), and Caperucita Encarnada (Little Red Riding Hood). I never bought any of those although I did get some LPs of fairy stories for children being recited. I used to use comics like Pulgarcito with sixth formers from time to time because they could do various things with even a one-page story with speech bubbles. At a simple level they could convert it into a narrative, either in the present tense or the past, or both. They could learn the dialogue and act it out (the easy bit) and then get one of the pupils who didn't take part in the reenactment to report what they had just seen (not quite so easy because they would be using a wider range of past tenses). That kind of activity looks like light relief, but they knew they were being challenged as well as having some fun.

The two scans below are the only ones I can lay my hands on at the moment. They are both twenty-page magazines full of jokes and humour strips. One dates from 1958, the other from 1959. The fact that the bottom left-hand corner is cut off indicates that they were secondhand.

Incidentally, it is possible that the London address for Brugueditor is little more than an accommodation address.
Attachments
Seldehumor1958.jpg
cancan1959.jpg

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Once again, I think you have hit on the answer. The indicia reads, "Printed in Spain".
Thank you for the scans. I actually have some issues of them as e-files. Bruegera published an astonishing amount of material. Even today, many Bruguera strips are being reprinted by the new owners, particularly the excellent El Capitan Trueno.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

paw broon wrote:Even today, many Bruguera strips are being reprinted by the new owners, particularly the excellent El Capitan Trueno.
That translates as Captain Thunder, and I do remember that one too.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

There are, or were, hardback, thick, landscape format reprints of the original Capitan Trueno strip (striscia in Italian - don't know the Spanish for that format) by Ediciones B who are Grupo Zeta, the modern incarnation of Bruguera. There are also repints in the same format of El Jabato and Corsario de Hierro. All good stuff, although my favourite is El Guerrero del Antifaz.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

paw broon wrote:El Guerrero del Antifaz
The Masked Warrior. That's another old 50s/60s favourite, Paw. I never bought any though.

According to the Wikipedia, Striscia, when related to the world of cartoons, seems to mean something amazing.