Phonogram - What are your thoughts?

Discuss particular comic titles here.
There are separate subfora to discuss particular titles and groups of titles - use this forum for any missing title, or discussions which don't fit below!

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Catsonheat

Phonogram - What are your thoughts?

Post by Catsonheat »

Hey everyone,

I'm still fairly new to the comic scene having only read my first comic/graphic novel earlier this year (Watchmen) but been hooked ever since and now have quite a collection!

Anyway I'm really enjoying The Wicked + The Divine and thought I would check out their other work Phonogram.

I picked up the first issue of 6 for the Immaterial Girl and was completely lost, I wasn't immediately engulfed in it like some other series and I later discovered that the Immaterial Girl is actually 6 issues of a separate volume and there are 12 issues across 2 volumes in the Phonogram series before this.

So I am just wondering are these separate stories or one continuous? Am I lost on the first issue because I have joined a story half way through or because I'm just a bit dense? haha. Also has anyone read Phonogram? is it worth sticking out and reading from the start?

Thanks all!

Digifiend

Re: Phonogram - What are your thoughts?

Post by Digifiend »

You're talking about US format comics, right? Maybe better to ask here: https://www.reddit.com/r/comicbooks/

dishes

Post by dishes »

To be fair Digi they are by UK creators, so I don't see why they shouldn't be discussed here.

I read the first volume of Phonogram and hated it, but I can't recall why. I am of the britpop/post-britpop generation so I should have been all over it. Maybe I instinctively resisted a comic so firmly aimed at me.
Is it weird to have no interest in keeping or collecting free gifts?

My artwork: http://www.iancockburn.co.uk

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

While I know nothing about W & D or Phonogram, there are some excellent pieces of work by British creators, albeit in US format, so I hope I don't upset Digifiend by
mentioning these books.
Planetary by Warren Ellis and John Cassaday is as good as it gets.
The first 2 vols. of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (forget the film, the comic original is seriously good) by Alan Moore and Kev O'Neil. (the later stories are just too extreme for me).
Currently I'm enjoying the 4 vols of Sherlock Holmes adaptations by Edginton and Culbard. Worth a look.
Also written by Warren Ellis is The Authority, a harder take on superheroes. I'm not that keen on later vols written by Mark Millar.
If you want to try graphic novels free, visit your local library - if you still have one. Most libraries have a selection so take your time and have a look.

Catsonheat

Post by Catsonheat »

Hi all thanks for your responses.

Yeah I wasn't sure if I could post it here because they are US format by a US publisher but by UK creators so I took a gamble!

I was really big into the britpop scene and whilst the first issue I bought turned out to be part of volume 3 which was not centred around that style I just couldn't get into it. Maybe I will give the rest of the series a miss!

I have read quite a lot of Alan Moore's work so far but not had the chance to read LOEG but will be sure to give it a read. A few works by Warren Ellis have also popped up as interesting reads to check out in the future!

Thanks for the responses guys!

Catsonheat

Post by Catsonheat »

Hi all thanks for your responses.

Yeah I wasn't sure if I could post it here because they are US format by a US publisher but by UK creators so I took a gamble!

I was really big into the britpop scene and whilst the first issue I bought turned out to be part of volume 3 which was not centred around that style I just couldn't get into it. Maybe I will give the rest of the series a miss!

I have read quite a lot of Alan Moore's work so far but not had the chance to read LOEG but will be sure to give it a read. A few works by Warren Ellis have also popped up as interesting reads to check out in the future!

Thanks for the responses guys!