The British International Comics Show 2010

If you know of an upcoming event or you would like to discuss a recent one post here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

PaulTwist

Re: The British International Comics Show 2010

Post by PaulTwist »

Made it down for the Sunday, and enjoyed it immensely.

Started the day in the main hall. Spent a good while at Nostalgia & Comics' "20p each or 8 for £1" section. There really was something for everyone in there, with some real bargains to be had - some of which I already owned, unfortunately, including some Hate Annuals and issues of Dork. In the end I limited myself to 8 comics, though I wish I'd bought more... the comics I did pick up included a pre-Dark Horse Flaming Carrot #10, a couple of issues of Joe Matt's Peep Show, an old JLI, and a few issues of Archie's TMNT Adventures comics. Wonder if anyone else has purchased Peep Show and TMNT Adventures in the same transaction?

Ones that got away included Marshall Law: Kingdom of the Blind, some collections of Dick Tracy newspaper strips and some bizarre Popeye comics that were basically Popeye giving career advice... wish i'd bought them now. Keeping it relevant to this forum, there were also a bunch of Marvel UK comics, including issues of Death's Head and Death's Head II. I should've made it 16 comics. Or 24. Or 32. Or...

Although the main focus of BICS is the more mainstream, American end of comics, I did find a few things for sale that visitors of this forum would have been interested in, including some early issues of Classics From The Comics for £2 each (issues 2-5) and a big stack of later issues for £1 each.

I wandered round a few times but couldn't find the Rebellion/2000 AD table - did they have one? I did find some old 2000 AD stuff for sale, including some very tempting collections of the old Daily Star strips... shame I'm a bit broke at the moment.

Attended a few of the events, including the Unwritten panel (a Vertigo book I haven't read but one I'd now very much like to), the Jonathan Ross panel (Ross was as engaging and charismatic as you'd expect, and the man REALLY knows his comics) and the Paul Cornell/Knight & Squire panel (hunt this book down! It's got many references that will mean more to British readers than American ones!).

Wish I'd had more time and money - but don't we all? Another successful BICS, then - and if you weren't there, do try to make it next year. Who knows - you could walk away with a stack of bargain-priced Classics from the Comics, if nothing else...

PS For visual photographic proof I was there, check out Lew's blog. I'm present in the last picture wearing a mismatched striped T-shirt and hoodie, and I am enjoying myself much more than my miserable face would suggest...

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

PaulTwist wrote: PS For visual photographic proof I was there, check out Lew's blog. I'm present in the last picture wearing a mismatched striped T-shirt and hoodie, and I am enjoying myself much more than my miserable face would suggest...
Sorry I didn't realize it was you Paul. I was in a bit of a rush on Sunday and took that photo quickly without looking to see who was in the shot.

I couldn't get into the Ross talk as I'd forgotten that everyone needed a special pass, including guests, so queued 20 minutes for nothing. Doh! :headbash: :roll: My own fault.

Picked up a bunch of 30s/40s AP comics in near-perfect condition so I was happy anyway. :)

chebbo

Post by chebbo »

Glad u enjoyed the show...sorry to hear you missed all the events (which were in the theatre just through the doors with big signs saying "events this way" :lol:

We really had our best events schedule this year. At least they were all well attnded anyway.

Yes I was gutted about Iron Moon not being delivered on time too... it looked like a superb book.

best
Shane

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

wandered round a few times but couldn't find the Rebellion/2000 AD table
When you walked into the main hall it was the third row left, with it's back against the "film set" tables. I meant to buy the latest two progs actually, i missed one and Cambridge Forbidden Planet don't always reliably have the back issues. Oh well.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I wrote a "review" of the convention here: http://blog.crystal-knights.co.uk/2010/10/22/bics-bits/

Except i forgot to take any pictures at the convention so instead i just talked about some of the comics i bought. Including Poot, for which i borrowed a bit of Kevf's post (as all i talked to them about was my stupid ideas for stories).

I didn't review the book called West or even photograph my latest issue of a comic called Vampire Freestyle, but they are both brilliant and everybody should buy them.