Bristol comic expo

If you know of an upcoming event or you would like to discuss a recent one post here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Stingray

Bristol comic expo

Post by Stingray »

Anyone fancy a pint at the Bristol comic expo? I know Lew's going (good stuff), but is anyone else going this weekend?

Lew Stringer

Re: Bristol comic expo

Post by Lew Stringer »

Stingray wrote:Anyone fancy a pint at the Bristol comic expo? I know Lew's going (good stuff), but is anyone else going this weekend?
I'm afraid I couldn't make it to the expo as my mum suffered a stroke and a very bad fall on Thursday so I've been at the hospital with her obviously. She's very very poorly but there's still hope.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I'm so sorry to hear that Lew. I really hope your mum pulls through. :(

- Phil R.

Stingray

Post by Stingray »

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry to hear that Lew... Such a horrid thing to happen. :( My friend's dad suffered a similar stroke a few years ago and was also poorly for quite a while, with his speech being affected quite badly. But over time he slowly improved and got back to some measure of normality. It all takes time but remarkable how the body fights on...
Thoughts are with your mum and yourself.

And, hey, don't worry about posting that Tom Thug artwork off... Comicy things can wait.

Andy

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

I don't want a big fuss made about it on this forum but, just as a follow up to my previous post, I'm afraid my mum passed away yesterday, 11 days after her fall. She was only given a day or two originally and fought hard to survive but the damage to her head from the fall was too severe for recovery. She didn't regain full consciousness but she recognized me and knew she was comfortable in hospital. I stayed with her day and night towards the end, reminding her of the many happy times and hoping she could understand, and she passed away very quietly and peacefully with me holding her hand.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

It's nearly twenty years now since my own mum passed away and there's still hardly a day goes by when I don't think about her.

One time towards the end I remember her trying desperately to tell me something and getting more and more upset because she couldn't speak; so I held her hand and told her "We know you love us, you know we love you, and that is all that really matters". After that she relaxed and just squeezed my hand.

I'm sure your mum felt the same way about you Lew - and her love is a gift that will remain with you for the rest of your life!