Glasgow Comic Con

If you know of an upcoming event or you would like to discuss a recent one post here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Glasgow Comic Con

Post by colcool007 »

It's only a week away, but who else is going? We have tickets for Saturday and cannot wait to go. At last, a chance to get an autograph or even a sketch from Carlos Ezquerra just cannot be passed up. And Cam Kennedy. And Simon Bisley. And....

I could go on but I won't. :P

http://www.glasgowcomiccon.com/
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Re: Glasgow Comic Con

Post by colcool007 »

Just got back and it was awesome.

Alas Cam Kennedy can no longer sketch but I was fortunate enough to be able to have a chat with him. I also met Simon Bisley and he really is the George Best of the comic world. He did a very quick sketch for me.

John Higgins was nice enough to do a very detailed Dredd for me. And I got autographs from John Wagner, Alan Grant, Alan Davies, Scott Montgomerie, George Low and Ferg Handley.

But the absolute shining 24 carat highlight is the latest addition to my sketchbook by a certain Carlos Ezquerra, when he kindly assented to my request for Major Eazy (It must have been a relief for someone not to ask for Dredd!). As he drew it, I was issued with my own personal time machine and lost over 35 years as I watched the picture being drawn. I will happily admit that the picture will be the pinnacle of my collection for many years to come.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

...Why can't Cam sketch anymore Col?

- Phil R.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

philcom55 wrote:...Why can't Cam sketch anymore Col?

- Phil R.
His eyes have gone. I was gutted for myself but even more so for him. He can do art in wee bits but not the long slog that you need to make money or to put in the hours at any comic event. But he did confirm that he was the artist for Death Of A Wimpey. And he was the artist for the Commando panel. I was abe to sit in for that one and it was comic heaven. Remind me to post in a Commando thread some of the absolute gems that I picked up.

Plus sitting and chewing the fat with him for 20 minutes was just awesome.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

The poor guy! That's bad enough when it happens to anyone, but for an artist it must be especially awful. :(

- Phil Rushton

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I've just noticed that Cam Kennedy's Judge Dredd is due out this week. It's good to see that some publishers are doing their best to help him out. It's just a shame that Fighting Mann didn't have a more original script as, in my opinion, it featured some of his best artwork ever and would otherwise have been a perfect series to reprint.

- Phil R.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Funnily enough, Fighting Mann was what prompted me to ask him the question of what was his favourite character to draw. And I was surprised to find it is Judge Dredd. I asked him why.

His reply was that the character suited all moods. So if you were particularly annoyed, you could emphasise the aggressive stance of characters. If he was feeling playful, he could exaggerate the uniform or the bike or any other bits and pieces.

And I forgot to mention that I did buy the latest edition of his sketchbook. :D Which he kindly autographed.

For those of you that know me on Facebook, I have created a photo album that might interest you guys. I mean, who would be interested in seeing the first original sketch of Major Eazy ever done in the UK...

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I would - unfortunately I don't have access to facebook! :(

I'd have to check the dates to be sure but I suspect that Mike McMahon's classic version of Dredd during 'Cursed Earth' etc. was itself heavily influenced by Cam's Fighting Mann. I can certainly remember Mike saying that he was a big fan of Battle at the time.

- Phil R.