Glasgow comic mart

If you know of an upcoming event or you would like to discuss a recent one post here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

paw broon

Glasgow comic mart

Post by paw broon »

Sorry this is so last minute but a lot of us up here are confused about dates and who is running what and where.
This Sat. 2nd. Nov. there is a comic mart at the Renfield Centre, Bath St. Glasgow.
(Nr. The King's Theatre.)
11am to 4pm. Admission Free.

There also seems to be a 2 day event on the 9th and 10th. Nov in Walkabout, a pub, I think, at the top of Renfield St. Despite folk telling me about this one, I can find nothing on the internet. I'll dig away at this one tomorrow and perhaps shed more light on it.
Finally, the Panopticon mart is on 30th. Nov. in the Panopticon Theatre just off Trongate, Glasgow. 11am. Admission free.

Look forward to meeting some of you at one or other of the events.

paw broon

Re: Glasgow comic mart

Post by paw broon »

"There also seems to be a 2 day event on the 9th and 10th. Nov in Walkabout, a pub, at the top of Renfield St., Glasgow."

I had confirmation of this one on Sat. at the Glasgow mart. Don't know if I am going to make it though.
The mart after that will be the Panopticon on 30th. Nov. 11am - 4pm. Admission free.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

A reminder to anyone who can get there that there is a comic mart at the Panopticon in Glasgow this Sat. 30th. Nov. Entry free and doors open to punters from 11am. I have a table so I should be easy to find if anyone fancies a chat.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

I'd love to go but it's just too far for me Paw. I went to the Birmingham Memorabilia on Saturday, but it really hasn't been the same since the wonderful Arthur Boyd stopped travelling down for it. :(

- Phil Rushton

starscape

Post by starscape »

Looking forward to it.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Glad to hear it starscape. And Phil, Arthur still turns up at the bigger do's but he doesn't keep as well nowadays. At the Braehead con, he had a pile of Cowboy Picture Libraries on his table, not in the best nick, but, at giveaway prices. Caused a bit of a rush but I got in there. He does have some amazing stuff, doesn't he?
McDonalds (no, not that one) next door to the mart does the best bacon rolls in the town - and the coffee is excellent too.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

I won't be able to make it as I am on nights. Sorry. :cry:
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Now, what sort of an excuse is that? :o
Straight from the office to the city centre, coffee and rolls, queue up at the door and we'll smuggle you in with the dealers. I'm sure we could fit you in one of those big boxes. :D

bigd-ek

Post by bigd-ek »

I'll be at the Panopticon on Saturday - looking forward to it - I usually manage to find a couple of items to spend my hard earned cash on - what are you planning on selling at your table Paw?

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Excellent.
Being just a wee bit disorganised I am in a complete guddle with bagging and deciding what to take. I think I will have some Champion isseus and a couple of C annuals, Sexton Blake issues, some British annuals,a box of American back issues, a small pile of Alter Ego (always a good read, imo) and whatever else finds its way into the back of the car.
This mart is as much about meeting folk and having a chat and that can't be a bad thing.

bigd-ek

Post by bigd-ek »

I Enjoyed meeting you on Saturday Paw and great to put a face to the name - I've bought a lot of comics off you over the many years at Glasgow marts.

Left the mart with a lot of good buys (including the Terrific annual & Marvel themed Alter Ego issues from your good self) and enjoyed chats with a couple of other vendors.

Hope the Panopticon can host more marts next year - it's far from the best venue - cold & dark - not an ideal combination - but it appears to be the only game in town -look forward to seeing you again in 2014?

starscape

Post by starscape »

Yeah, it was so dark, it didn't make selecting comics easy.
STARSCAPE Comic
http://facebook.com/Starscape-Comic-108831387707862/
comics, cartoons, music & movies

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Yes it is dark and Sat. it was also cold. Not the best venue but it is important historically being the last surviving music hall. Pity the charity who now have it can't improve it . Our fears could be confirmed as there seem to be no plans for future marts at the venue. I'll find out more over the next wee while. Fortunately, the mart at the Renfield Centre appears to have done well enough and there will be others at that venue in 2014. It's a clean, well-lit, relatively modern hall. The people who run the marts are the same who organise the Glasgow cons.
Edinburgh has a 2 dayer coming up on April 12 & 13 at Potterrow, described as a "Comic & Sci-Fi Weekend" More info here:-
www.heroconventions.com
Great to meet you bigd and I'm sure we must have spoken, starscape.

philcom55

Post by philcom55 »

paw broon wrote:...Not the best venue but it is important historically being the last surviving music hall.
Gosh - I hadn't realized it was the same hall at which Stan Laurel famously made his debut. I bet Laurel &Hardy fan supreme Mark Evanier would be chuffed to know that people now go there to pick up back issues of Groo!

I always used to get a similar buzz at the old London marts in the Central Methodist Hall, remembering it was there that the postwar world was born when the United Nations went into session for the first time.

Who says comic collecting can't be educational...? :)

- Phil Rushton

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Yes Phil, that's the one. I used to go to some of the marts at Central Methodist Hall. The stuff you could find there was amazing. That's where I bought the beginnings of a small Aus. comic collection. A few of us would come down, overnight, on the train or coach and back up after the mart. Much too old for that nonsense now.