Glasgow Symposium

If you know of an upcoming event or you would like to discuss a recent one post here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Glasgow Symposium

Post by colcool007 »

For those of you interested and able to get to Glasgow on Monday evening, here is a symposium that may be of interest to you.

Fear not if you cannot get there as yours truly has been recruited as a cub reporter for Down The Tubes and I may be able to give a full report upon my return. :D
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

JT Mirana

Re: Glasgow Symposium

Post by JT Mirana »

Some of my fellow scribes from the Glasgow League of Writers will also be there, so make yourself known and somebody might buy you a drink. Note I say 'might.'

:)

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

It will have to be a softie as I am driving there and back. :(

Raven

Post by Raven »

If it's a Glaswegian buying you the drink, I doubt he'll be a softie!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:It will have to be a softie as I am driving there and back.
Raven wrote:If it's a Glaswegian buying you the drink, I doubt he'll be a softie!
I just love responses like this one of Raven's, so out of left field.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

Those are the guys (Black Heart Press) who run the Glasgow cons and the marts at the Renfield Centre. They have published a number of comics and one of the titles is rumoured to have been optioned by a film or t.v. company. I look forward to your report, Colin.
You do know Fife is (scarily) connected to the rest of Scotland by train and bus? So, no need to be that softie :lol:

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

paw broon wrote:Those are the guys (Black Heart Press) who run the Glasgow cons and the marts at the Renfield Centre. They have published a number of comics and one of the titles is rumoured to have been optioned by a film or t.v. company. I look forward to your report, Colin.
You do know Fife is (scarily) connected to the rest of Scotland by train and bus? So, no need to be that softie :lol:
Rail? What be this new-fangled contraption that you speak of? :lol:

As both of us are going, it's easier to drive across and get parked somewhere close. As it's after 6:30pm, parking will be free. :wink:

JT Mirana

Post by JT Mirana »

paw broon wrote:Those are the guys (Black Heart Press) who run the Glasgow cons and the marts at the Renfield Centre. They have published a number of comics and one of the titles is rumoured to have been optioned by a film or t.v. company. I look forward to your report, Colin.
I think it was 'School of the Damned' that was optioned by a film company. Who knows if we'll ever see it?

You can make yourself known to my fellow scribes - John 'The Standard' Lees and Garry 'Gonzo Cosmic' MacLaughlin - by standing up and saying, 'I am the softie' at any point. :)

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

JT Mirana wrote:
I think it was 'School of the Damned' that was optioned by a film company. Who knows if we'll ever see it?

You can make yourself known to my fellow scribes - John 'The Standard' Lees and Garry 'Gonzo Cosmic' MacLaughlin - by standing up and saying, 'I am the softie' at any point. :)
I am the one drinking softies to be perfectly clear. Just because my waist is spreading, there is no need to get personal! :lol:

As to School of the Damned, I think Karen picked that up at Glasgow ComicCon and she enjoyed it.

I look forward to meeting you guys and chatting. As our small one is having a sleepover, we will not have to worry about time. So we can certainly enjoy chewin' the fat over the past, present and future comic scene.

paw broon

Post by paw broon »

The Herald today has a short editorial piece on last night's symposium at the CCA:-
http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/h ... l.23722393

There is also a short news piece:-
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home ... y.23724963
So, Colin, over to you. How did it go, in your opinion as someone who actually knows something about comics?

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

In my mind, as a starter for the stated aim of created a National Comics Academy, I can hardly think of a better starting point.

All seem to be on the same sheet as far as developing Comics In Scotland is considered.

It went well and I was very impressed with Jenny Niven from Creative Scotland and Maria Welch from D C Thomson. Both were able to pour a cold dose of reality on any flight of fantasy that some people may have taken us on. As did Philip Vaughn. The article has been prepared for DTT and I may even be producing one or two more pieces that have been prompted by what was discussed on the evening and by my recent comic reading.
Last edited by colcool007 on 19 Mar 2014, 02:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adding the link to the article

JT Mirana

Post by JT Mirana »

Thanks for sharing the link.