2000ad exhibiion at the Cartoon Museum (London) - Jan 2017

If you know of an upcoming event or you would like to discuss a recent one post here.

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Richard S.

2000ad exhibiion at the Cartoon Museum (London) - Jan 2017

Post by Richard S. »

Doesn't seem to have been officially announced, but more details here

http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co. ... ondon.html
my blog: http://boysadventurecomics.blogspot.co.uk/
facebook: Richard Sheaf
facebook group: Boys adventure comic blog
Twitter: @richardandsheaf
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/BoysAdventureComics/

Phoenix
Guru

Re: 2000ad exhibiion at the Cartoon Museum (London) - Jan 20

Post by Phoenix »

Well I hope it's more extensive than the Manga exhibition that the British Museum put on sometime last year. The exhibits then were confined to a small alcove no bigger than your dining room. I took the middle daughter (16) of my elder son's then partner, and her cousin (12), both of whom have been very enthusiastic about Manga and Anime for some considerable time. When they went in I said I was going over to the museum's shop, and to wait in the foyer if I didn't get back before they came out. I was back in next to no time, having bought two copies of a book called The History Of Manga, or some such title, for them, which I believe were of more value to them than the entire exhibition. They were out already! I felt embarrassed because I had seen the advert for the exhibition, and recommended it to them, and because I have enjoyed so many art exhibitions in London over the last twenty years or so, all of which occupied me for a couple of hours at least, I had expected this one to be just as comprehensive. Afterwards I recalled one of my father's mock beatitudes Blessed is he who expecteth nothing for he shall not be disappointed.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Re: 2000ad exhibiion at the Cartoon Museum (London) - Jan 20

Post by AndyB »

It's really good, takes up a decent amount of downstairs in the Cartoon Museum. You get to compare Mick McMahon's original artwork for the first spread of the final episode of the Cursed Earth on the wall with the Prog in a case in front, and there is lots of absolutely gorgeous work, including some of David Roach's work on the Christmas Anderson story, and decent coverage of lots of characters and artists.

I explained to my friend (my wife was away round the Tate Modern with his wife) that back in the day, speech balloons were attached to the artwork, then in a number of years ago it moved to an acetate overlay (and you could see the gaps in some of the presented artwork), and now of course all lettering is digital.

It's still running until 23 April - I visited on our anniversary weekend (where did four years of marriage go?) - and it was more than worth the £7 adult admission price. They have a very interesting general comics history display upstairs to make you think of Lew's blog and Denis Gifford.