Guidance thread

A place for you to offer some suggestions for this website or some constructive criticism

Moderators: Al, AndyB

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Guidance thread

Post by colcool007 »

Should we have a sticky thread that lays out what we generally expect from people joining as it would be a good guide for those browsing the forums and give them a good idea of what we would not expect to see discussed on the threads? I have put this in the suggestions as I think that everybody should be able to contribute good ideas to this thread and it would save the moderators from racking their brains (what little we have left! :lol: ) to come up with all the guidance.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Steve Bright

Re: Guidance thread

Post by Steve Bright »

colcool007 wrote:... it would be a good guide for those browsing the forums and give them a good idea of what we would not expect to see discussed on the threads?...

Was that "not" intentional, colcool?
Wake up, smell the coffee, put on some toast...

http://www.stevebrightcartoons.co.uk

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Steve Bright wrote:
colcool007 wrote:... it would be a good guide for those browsing the forums and give them a good idea of what we would not expect to see discussed on the threads?...

Was that "not" intentional, colcool?
Steve, it was intentional as I fully expect posters to meander through subjects such as politics, innuendo and social context to explain why Action was such a big hit in 1976 and why the Hotspur in 1980/81 felt outdated, but we would not expect to see posts discussing Hentai and which comic was the most explicit.

Apologies if I am expressing myself badly but it is after my bedtime over here in Sunshine land! :lol:

Steve Bright

Guidance thread

Post by Steve Bright »

I have no particular objection to guidance on what we like (rather than expect) to see talked about here, although I'd be a little worried if any visitors didn't immediately realise what those topics are, and in such cases, I doubt if any guidance would be of much use anyway.

Posts about Hentai wouldn't actually do any harm in my opinion, and from my own viewpoint, may even be a little more entertaining than how many copies of Gronk were issued (no offence, Gronk fans). We all have aspects of this crazy world we are passionate about, and others we ignore, and we all live together in relative harmony (usually), rarely complaining when other stuff encroaches on our favourite topics.

I admit I don't read everything these days (I used to), and so if there is a problem with Hentai spammers I haven't been aware of it. So I'm wondering what has prompted this suggestion?

I'm not a great fan of prohibition - most reasonable people have no need for it, and the unreasonable ones will ignore it anyway, but can often be effectively 'policed' either by the reasonable members through counter-posts on the forum, or ultimately by the current sanctions available to the moderators anyway.

Say what we're about by all means, but express hopes rather than expectations, and don't attempt to restrict the subject matter please. You never know when Hentai may just become relevant.
Wake up, smell the coffee, put on some toast...

http://www.stevebrightcartoons.co.uk

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Steve Bright wrote:...I admit I don't read everything these days (I used to), and so if there is a problem with Hentai spammers I haven't been aware of it. So I'm wondering what has prompted this suggestion?

I'm not a great fan of prohibition - most reasonable people have no need for it, and the unreasonable ones will ignore it anyway, but can often be effectively 'policed' either by the reasonable members through counter-posts on the forum, or ultimately by the current sanctions available to the moderators anyway...
Steve, nothing has prompted it, except that if anyone read an intro thread, it might persuade them to join rather than go into "I've passed all that" mode.

Not a fan of censoring myself, but when we get spammers getting more sneaky. A recent example gave their website as purporting to advertise a New York hotel, so clicked on the link and was glad that all the kids were in bed when that page opened! :shock:

As you have suggested yourself, it would be more in the line of a guide rather than hard and fast rules. Personally, since we have locked the spammers out, I have seen nothing on the boards to be worried about.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Guidance thread

Post by AndyB »

Personally, if someone started talking about the weather I wouldn't mind too much, but I like the way the place polices itself. It's nice :)

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

AndyB wrote:Personally, if someone started talking about the weather I wouldn't mind too much, but I like the way the place polices itself. It's nice :)
I think that Andy's post says it all. As long as we keep the spammers out, it will be rare that we will ever need to kill a thread.

Now is that the weather in Beanotown or Brassingford? :lol: