Where topics go

A place for you to offer some suggestions for this website or some constructive criticism

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Steve Bright

Re: CHRISTMAS BEANO - A LOT OF REPRINT MATERIAL?

Post by Steve Bright »

AndyB wrote:It was in Discussion> originally. Where it doesn't belong, and I'm more than a little p***ed off about the number of threads that get created in Discussion> out of pure laziness.
Okay, Andy, in order that you might be a little less p***ed off, perhaps you'd like to clarify just exactly what the Discussion board on the Comics UK forums is for, if it's not for...er...discussions about issues relating to...um...UK comics. Like this thread is for example.

I'm sorry, but I really don't understand why there appears to be a need to ghetto-ise discussions like this away from a general board. When I look into the Discussions forum, it's usually pretty obvious after the first couple of posts (and sometimes even the thread title) which discussions are going to be of any interest to me. And those that aren't, I'm happy to ignore, and certainly don't begrudge their presence on the main board. I don't see why they can't just stay there if someone feels they may be of interest to a wider audience, and if you or any of the other moderators feel they would be a valuable asset to other threads, then copy them over rather than move them and moan about it. What harm are they doing on the Discussions thread?

If it's too much trouble to do a little 'filing', then perhaps you should reconsider whether you really want the job, but expressing your negative feelings towards your 'customers' is never a particularly good idea, or you may leave yourself open to the right of reply.

Sorry this has nothing at all to do with the Beano - maybe it could be moved back to the Discussions forum?
Wake up, smell the coffee, put on some toast...

http://www.stevebrightcartoons.co.uk

Steve Bright

CHRISTMAS BEANO - A LOT OF REPRINT MATERIAL?

Post by Steve Bright »

Oh, and Happy New Year!

My resolution is to speak my mind more, after a 2007 of largely biting my tongue. Hopefully it'll be one of those resolutions that won't last long.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Where topics go

Post by AndyB »

Moved this into Suggestions>

Discussion> is broadly for anything that doesn't belong in a more specific forum, and things have got moved back into it in the past. So things like Annuals, things that cross comic titles big time (which accounts for a lot of Beano/Dandy discussion), happy new years, site news, interesting relevant websites (yes, you have seen me post the opposite in recent weeks, but there's a big difference between a short thread to promote/recommend it and reams of posts all over the place), and pretty much the entire contents of the forum as it is right now.

There is no point having the specific fora if they don't get used, and even less point if we're going to have two threads discussing the same thing in two separate fora.

I would also prefer to see a broader audience for all the fora. Posting in Discussion> where another fora is more appropriate defeats this purpose.

Finally, you talk about filing - but this is a situation where the users are able to file the things themselves...
Last edited by AndyB on 02 Jan 2008, 20:40, edited 1 time in total.

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Where topics go

Post by colcool007 »

Arrggghhh! Somebody mentioned the 'F' word! :cry: OK, I'll throw in my tuppence worth.

The idea is that the forums are there so that we can all try and stick topics roughly in the right area. The idea that a topic is immutable and can't go wandering all over the place is not what we are here for. We know a discussion on Gilbert Dalton could start in the Artists & Writers forum but could wander all over the place and end up discussing the influences of Ian Kennedy on our career choices or why Andy Pandy was better than The Flumps to give a few random examples.

We aren't trying to 'ghetto-ise' any discussion as they are all valid and some are extremely interesting. Not to mention down right edukashional. All the forums are there for is to try and give a wee bit of structure when we are trying to hunt down that certain thread that mentioned the nugget of gold that we have been hunting for years.

Now goes off and tries to find another reason to procrastinate over doing his OU which is due in less than 2 weeks! :shock:
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

AndyB
Throgmorton

Where topics go

Post by AndyB »

... and unless we're really not paying attention, if it got onto Andy Pandy and the Flumps, that topic would be moved back to Discussion> because it's too broad for the specific forum.

On that point, one set of forums I am on does have a rule of staying on topic. We're rather less worried about that here, some great topics have developed miles away from the original post.

Steve Bright

Re: Where topics go

Post by Steve Bright »

AndyB wrote:... and unless we're really not paying attention, if it got onto Andy Pandy and the Flumps, that topic would be moved back to Discussion> because it's too broad for the specific forum.

On that point, one set of forums I am on does have a rule of staying on topic. We're rather less worried about that here, some great topics have developed miles away from the original post.
Which is the nature of conversation, and hallelujah for that.

Trouble is, keeping track of the discussion if it's moved around all the time (this one, or bits of it, now having occupied three different sections already). I'm sorry, but I think that is a quite farcical and officious complication, and completely unnecessary and confusing.

keep it in one place, and when it's dead (i.e. nobody's posted on it for a week, say) then put it where you think it best fits if you must move it at all. Shoving it from pillar to post, splintering it en route is just daft in my opinion.

Not that you asked for it.

Oh, and Whizzer & Chips was a truly outstanding comic...

(just so I know where to look next ) :lol:

AndyB
Throgmorton

Where topics go

Post by AndyB »

Splintering like this one's the exception ;) Thankfully.

I can't remember when I last moved a topic more than once. I don't like doing it even that much for the reasons you gave.

(oh, and I pm'd you earlier!)

Lew Stringer

Re: Where topics go

Post by Lew Stringer »

Steve Bright wrote:
Trouble is, keeping track of the discussion if it's moved around all the time (this one, or bits of it, now having occupied three different sections already). I'm sorry, but I think that is a quite farcical and officious complication, and completely unnecessary and confusing.

I have to agree. I wouldn't have even found this thread if I hadn't asked where Steve's original comment had gone when I noticed it missing from it's previous home.

All this filing and keeping things in neat order, categorized etc reminds me of that spoof advert about the geek with his video collection. :lol:

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Where topics go

Post by colcool007 »

What advert is that then Lew?

*Honestly not trying to give Andy a nervous breakdown* :lol: Lew posted it first!
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!