Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Comic Titles & Groups 
Author Message
Guru

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 pm
Posts: 4777
Reply with quote
AndyB wrote:
Registered users have lost nothing. If you don't log in, you can't easily tell whether there are any posts in the topics that interest you anyway, never mind which page to start reading.
You are missing the point, Andy. When you say,
AndyB wrote:
there is a massive incentive to log in rather than just browse the forums without doing so, because registering and logging in gets you extra forums
you are making it sound as though you are offering something new that is really exciting, when, in reality, all we will be getting is what we already had before you took it off us.

The conspiracy theorist in me is beginning to wonder if this new measure is designed purely to prevent Kid Robson getting access to the Comic Titles & Groups section of the forum, the section that interests him most. He is still listed as a member after all, despite his resignation statement. I really hope I'm wrong because I can't imagine any member wanting that on a forum that is respected for its open nature.


Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:18 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:33 pm
Posts: 186
Reply with quote
Phoenix, I'm beginning to think you're missing your sparring partner :D


Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:18 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:05 pm
Posts: 4275
Location: BLITZVILLE, USA
Reply with quote
go for a lie down in a darkened room, my good Mr Phoenix, there's a good chap!

:) :) :) :) :)

_________________
Baby Boomer Blog:

http://zoomertoonsrabsmith.blogspot.com/view/magazine


Image


Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us


Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:26 pm
Profile
Guru

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 pm
Posts: 4777
Reply with quote
Shiner wrote:
Phoenix, I'm beginning to think you're missing your sparring partner
Heaven forbid, Shiner. Just being fair minded, nothing more.


Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:07 am
Profile
Guru

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 pm
Posts: 4777
Reply with quote
ISPYSHHHGUY wrote:
go for a lie down in a darkened room, my good Mr Phoenix, there's a good chap!
Can I ask you, Rab, just to think for a moment about what is at stake here, rather than giving people the impression that this issue isn't important.


Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:12 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:12 am
Posts: 333
Reply with quote
AndyB wrote:

Unregistered users know there is something to miss.



How will they know? If they're new to the forum there is no indication there is any more, and if even if they've seen the forum before, they might think those forums have been done away with. And they won't see this discussion because it's in one of the hidden forums.


Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:54 am
Profile
Throgmorton

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:00 pm
Posts: 2241
Reply with quote
Can I suggest you read the Board Index?


Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:30 am
Profile WWW
Guru

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 pm
Posts: 4777
Reply with quote
AndyB wrote:
Can I suggest you read the Board Index?
To what purpose? We are going round in circles here, Andy. If we click on Board Index without having logged in, we get just the four forums that we are currently allowed to see. If we have logged in, we can see no more than we can see by logging in. What extra information or value will dishes get a if he doesn't log in, and b if he does? For the life of me, I can't see any, in which case there was no point in suggesting to him that he read the Board Index.


Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:00 am
Profile
Throgmorton

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:00 pm
Posts: 2241
Reply with quote
Derek, please read the Board Index if you want the answer to the question Dishes asked, rather than just looking at it. The answer has been there since the permissions were changed.


Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:31 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:12 am
Posts: 333
Reply with quote
AndyB wrote:
Can I suggest you read the Board Index?


That just shows four forums when I'm not logged in. As I said, to the casual visitor it looks like the others have been razed from existence. It was a shock to me when I first saw it.

I don't want to be a nuisance about this, I'm not belligerent kind of guy, I know it can't be easy maintaining a message board, and there may be grave issues appertaining which I know nothing about. I'm just trying to make you aware of a side of this you may not have considered.

By the way, an example of why people might not want to log on: they may use a shared computer and wish (for privacy) to do their browsing on an "incognito" window.


Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:42 am
Profile

Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:58 pm
Posts: 2829
Location: Highboro'
Reply with quote
AndyB wrote:
Can I suggest you read the Board Index?

dishes wrote:
That just shows four forums when I'm not logged in.


But it says "There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc."


Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:23 am
Profile
Throgmorton

Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:00 pm
Posts: 2241
Reply with quote
Thank you Raven! :notworthy:

dishes wrote:
By the way, an example of why people might not want to log on: they may use a shared computer and wish (for privacy) to do their browsing on an "incognito" window.

If it's a public computer, that's very good advice, but if you have your own personal login to the computer and nobody else has the password, it's not an issue.


Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:36 am
Profile WWW
Guru

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 pm
Posts: 4777
Reply with quote
Raven wrote:
But it says "There are separate fora open to registered members for discussing specific comics, artists, websites etc."
The point is still being missed. What we want to see is exactly what we used to see, all forums available to anybody in the world without their having to log at all if they don't want to. If there are any members that Admin do not want posting comments, such as Kid Robson, surely all they have to do is remove that facility, and that facility alone, from him/them. However, removing any other facility from him/them would be very wrong. I can think of no reason whatsoever why he/they should have any other restrictions placed upon them. In case it hasn't been noticed, we are not living in a dictatorship, or in a third-world country that has shifting values.


Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:55 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:58 pm
Posts: 2829
Location: Highboro'
Reply with quote
Phoenix wrote:
The point is still being missed. What we want to see is exactly what we used to see, all forums available to anybody in the world without their having to log at all if they don't want to. If there are any members that Admin do not want posting comments, such as Kid Robson, surely all they have to do is remove that facility, and that facility alone, from him/them. However, removing any other facility from him/them would be very wrong. I can think of no reason whatsoever why he/they should have any other restrictions placed upon them. In case it hasn't been noticed, we are not living in a dictatorship, or in a third-world country that has shifting values.



However, if it's Al who pays to run and maintain the forum, it's entirely up to him how he runs it, and deals with behaviour therein; everyone else is his guest. A lot of forums have sections which members have to log into to access; it's a way of getting more members, and which may make casual readers more likely to start contributing after making that initial commitment of joining.


Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:19 pm
Profile
Guru

Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 pm
Posts: 4777
Reply with quote
Raven wrote:
However, if it's Al who pays to run and maintain the forum, it's entirely up to him how he runs it, and deals with behaviour therein; everyone else is his guest.
I agree with you entirely, David. However, just as we need Al's forum, Al needs members if his forum isn't to be an empty vessel, so it's a two-way thing. We need to listen to each other, and where there is disagreement, Al's word should not necessarily be the law because he is part of a democratic process. Nor of course should mine, for the same reason.

But where this specific matter is concerned, the perfectly justifiable points I am making are being ignored by Admin. It seems as plain as a pikestaff to me that the changes, which were introduced after Kid Robson's resignation, were a knee-jerk reaction, intended to prevent him from reading all the posts on the concealed forums, principally. But it seems to me completely unimportant whether he reads the posts in all our forums or not. More than that, I think he should be allowed to, in the same way everybody could before the changes. All Admin need to do is stop him writing anything, and it wouldn't surprise me to learn that they have done that already by simply preventing him from even logging in. ComicsUK has always been an open forum, so why, all of a sudden, are we closing part of it down, or restricting access to non-members, if you want to put it that way? It is a really retrograde step.

One further point. I don't actually think there is the remotest chance of his trying to post again, and he might well not bother coming in to read posts either. He didn't make a song and dance on his blog about his departure, and if I'm any judge, he is too proud an individual to want to return to a place where he feels unwelcome.


Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:57 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software.