Sub Forums for Comic Characters?

A place for you to offer some suggestions for this website or some constructive criticism

Moderators: Al, AndyB

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

Hi Al,hope you read my post re the watermark scenario.Could become a sort of Open Letter to the Comic BIGWIGS,EH?Anyway,how about a forum devoted to specific comic characters.Would make the forum easier to search and a whole lot tidier.Usual suspects...Dennis the Menace,Adam Eterno,et al..and...cough.cough...Starhawk???Just a suggestion mind :roll:

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Truthfully... totally unnecessary.

All these strips only appeared in one or two comics, so it's only a case of choosing a comic and going for it (ok, so Cuddles appeared in three, but you get the point)

Users are already ignoring the fora for specific comics - look at how many topics which relate to a single comic are in the General Discussion forum. If you have forums for specific characters, they'll be ignored in just the same way.

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

Fair point,Andy.I guess a lot of Beano and Dandy fans crossed over from the old forum.But methinks it's early days yet for the ignored fora.Not everybody venerates these two comics.Same goes for 2000ad-just because it's been around for 30 years doesn't make it a great comic.Re Starhawk,He's appeared in about 7 different publications,and those are just the ones I know about!...your friendly Cap! :twisted:

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

When we get character migration from one comic to the other, it will always be difficult to keep a chat in one comic forum. But I would guess that it will always be best to start the chat in the first comic that you found the character.

Example for me would be The Mighty Wilson. I first read it in Wizard in the 70's, but he was first illustrated in the Hornet and before that appeared in the text comic Rover, but after the Wizard folded, he made a nice home for himself in the Hotspur for the few remaining years that it lasted. :lol:
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

Fair point,will now retract request for character fora :cry: I am ironically researching Starhawk via the Crunch sub-forum as this was the comic he first appeared in,hence the web site title-starhawkcrunch :lol:

Al
Sir!

Post by Al »

Maybe, as AndyB says, a Comic Character Forum will be ignored as many (but not all :lol:) of the characters did remain in the same comic.

However, I do think it would be a good idea to have a Comic Character database, which will detail all the characters that have appeared in British comics throughout history. So all that visitors to the site will need to do to find out more about a character is type in the name or select a name from a drop down menu.

This is what I am attepting to write for Comics UK 2.0 but, as usual, am finding it difficult to get the time to do it. Plus I am still getting to grips with PHP and MySQL, which is what I want to write the whole of the next version of Comics UK in. But it is coming along.

I know that as soon as I get a better paid job with less hours to work (currently 40+), this will give me more time to make this become a reality. But for now, it's a distant target.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

Al, that idea would be fantastic.

What I would suggest in the meantime is find people you respect and trust and get them to mod the forums - if only to the extent of looking out for topics in the wrong fora. In the event that there's an unacceptable post anywhere, they can deal with it and it'll take any pressure off you.