Happy 50th Birthday, Gnasher!

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Kashgar
Guru

Happy 50th Birthday, Gnasher!

Post by Kashgar »

It's fifty years ago this week since the fateful day when Dennis discovered that 'likely specimen' in the street and entered him in the local dog show.
It was also the week that my eleven year old self started to make my daily twelve mile journey to the 'local' grammar school which was quite an odyssey for a lad who, till that point, had attended the local village school which was situated just across the road from our house.
I'm not even sure I was still reading the Beano at the time but in later years I've always come to associate these two events in a sort of combined memory.

Will-comics

Re: Happy 50th Birthday, Gnasher!

Post by Will-comics »

Yes gnasher 50 years old.. and no sign of aging! Let's hope he can do another 50 and beyond!

With roger turning 65 as well and the bash street kids turning 65 next year, I think that thomson should produce a bookazine filled with reprints, the creation story and artists over the years.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

Will-comics wrote:Yes gnasher 50 years old.. and no sign of aging! Let's hope he can do another 50 and beyond!

With roger turning 65 as well and the bash street kids turning 65 next year, I think that thomson should produce a bookazine filled with reprints, the creation story and artists over the years.
they are doing one for minnie the minx next month.

Will-comics

Post by Will-comics »

Can't wait to get my hands on it!

Sadly the last big eggo strip for 2018 was published a couple of weeks ago and the same with biffo the bear. Hopefully they will return...

alanultron5

Post by alanultron5 »

Luckily-I still have that edition (31 Aug) of the Beano where Gnasher debuts. He looked a bit different at first.
A Face unclouded by thought.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

alanultron5 wrote:Luckily-I still have that edition (31 Aug) of the Beano where Gnasher debuts. He looked a bit different at first.
good to see you back posting alan it seems like ages since you last posted

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

alanultron5 wrote:Luckily-I still have that edition (31 Aug) of the Beano where Gnasher debuts. He looked a bit different at first.
The original brief for Gnasher was imagine Dennis' hair with legs. Once you know that then it makes perfect sense.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!