Plug

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Peter Gray

Plug

Post by Peter Gray »

Was David Sutherland the guy who made Plug more uglier.....with sticking out ears...bigger top lip....nose...etc...

Reading Classics looking at 1959 Bash Street kids Plug wasn't himself yet...

:?:

(love seeing Jonah by Ken and lots of Leo's work in classics Banana Bunch..Minnie...Bash Street kids such great detail keep them coming)

Cap Haggis

Plug

Post by Cap Haggis »

I have some Beanos from early 1964 with Leo Baxendale drawing the Bash Street Kids and Plug has the stick out ears, buck teeth etc he got uglier as the trips progressed under Leo as well.
Cap Haggis to the rescue of all deep fried foods

Peter Gray

Plug

Post by Peter Gray »

David Sutherland started in 1961 on Bash Street kids.....his style was very detailled for many years...
so maybe David is the one who made Plug the icon he is now..

Cap Haggis

Plug

Post by Cap Haggis »

Peter - Sorry I need to take my time with the messages (rattled reply out at work during my break) My Beanos with Leo Baxendale in them are from 1960 - sorry.

Cap Haggis

Plug

Post by Cap Haggis »

Peter - The entry for Leo Baxendale on Lambiek (link below) shows a picture of Plug by Leo from around 1960 - to me this is the real Plug so not sure if hes any uglier now or from when Mr Sutherland took over altho he would hav ebeen the artist on the strip when I was reqding it as a kid.

http://lambiek.net/artists/b/baxendale_leo.htm

Peter Gray

Plug

Post by Peter Gray »

Well Leo did change Plug......maybe David Sutherland established that there should be nine kids....

I love the detail Leo put into his work amazing...hope we see more detail in the Beano and Dandy today.....Steve and Tom do good details..

Peter Gray

Plug by Kev F

Post by Peter Gray »

Plug by Kev F

Liked the Eagle spoof......
the joke 3009 AD
(after the Dandy) made me laugh also Mars a place not to bring up the kids... :lol:

nice seeing topical jokes...............
also is that where you live Kev :)