Fred's Bed

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

tolworthy

Fred's Bed

Post by tolworthy »

I haven't read the Beano in a while, but I was particularly impressed with Fred's Bed. Never seen it before, but it's exactly the sort of story I like best: hidden worlds of exotic real locations and mythical beasts, accessible from mysterious dark enclosed spaces. Come to think of it, I guess I have very narrow tastes. I don't know if I can justify buying the comic every week just for the one strip, but I'm tempted.

I'm assuming Fred's Bed is drawn by Martin Baxendale? Or somebody ghosting him? Or am I completely out of date?

Peter Gray

Fred's Bed

Post by Peter Gray »

Its a reprint from the 90's Beezer and Topper drawn by Tom Paterson and someone else....forgotten his name...something like Vic Neil..
[img:1642:2309]http://uk.geocities.com/pjgrobertnixon/ ... topper.jpg[/img]
it is very good.......there should be new stories drawn by Tom.

tolworthy

Re: Fred's Bed

Post by tolworthy »

Peter Gray wrote:Its a reprint from the 90's Beezer and Topper drawn by Tom Paterson and someone else....forgotten his name...something like Vic Neil.. it is very good.......there should be new stories drawn by Tom.
Thanks. I'll have to keep my eyes open for more.

Conor B

Fred's Bed

Post by Conor B »

I think its David parkins, isnt it?
Comic Genius Runner Up 2006

NP

Fred's Bed

Post by NP »

Looks like David Parkins to me. Excellent strip, whoever draws it. . .

AndyB
Throgmorton

Fred's Bed

Post by AndyB »

Most of them have been drawn by David, but at least two of them have been Tom's (spot the difference between the lettering - I assume that Tom designed Fred, but David did do the first strip)

Funnily enough, the week recently where Tom drew nearly half the comic content featured one of David's Freds.

Lew Stringer

Re: Fred's Bed

Post by Lew Stringer »

AndyB wrote:Most of them have been drawn by David, but at least two of them have been Tom's (spot the difference between the lettering - I assume that Tom designed Fred, but David did do the first strip)

Funnily enough, the week recently where Tom drew nearly half the comic content featured one of David's Freds.

The strips are being reprinted in a different sequence to how they originally appeared I think, hence why they interchange between the two artists. The easiest way to find out who's drawn what is that the Tam Paterson ones feature the box logo, and the David Parkin ones feature the banner logo.

Lew

AndyB
Throgmorton

Fred's Bed

Post by AndyB »

Most confusing thing is that for a strip obviously designed by Tom, the first strip was by David!

SH

Fred's Bed

Post by SH »

Great ghost job by Dave of Toms work. Would love to see new stories of him with new artwork but I dont think Dave does much for DCT these days?

AndyB
Throgmorton

Fred's Bed

Post by AndyB »

Last David did that I'm aware of was the infamous Danny cover.

SH

Fred's Bed

Post by SH »

LOL! I remember that , didn't you think I drew that , or someone did.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Fred's Bed

Post by AndyB »

Yes, that's why I remember it so well :D

mr ed

Fred's Bed

Post by mr ed »

Just a bit of background on David Parkins. He moved to Canada in 2006 and, though he's still in touch with DCT, it's unlikely that he'll be able to do very much work. Hopefully we'll be able to do some long distance arm tweisting and get him to tackle some covers or annual pages.
His work reprinted in Dennis Book 2007 was some of the finest he's done. If my dodgy memory serves me well, there's a Three Bears story drawn by DP in the upcoming Beano Book 2008.