Looking for a scan from a particular Calamity James

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

ajsmith

Post by ajsmith »

Hi there,

I'm looking for a scan of an image from a particular Calamity James strip. The strip probably appeared in the Beano in the early 90s, most likely 1990-94. in it, James befriends a country singer who uses James' tales of woe as inspiration for a song. At end the end, the singer performs the song, which goes:

"my best friend ran off with my girlfriend,
my mum threw my toys in the sea,
my poor broken bones, simply won't mend
I'm the world's biggest loser, that's me. "

I'd particuarly love to see this panel where the country singer performs the song.
Anyone remember this?
Anyone have any idea which edition of the Beano this appeared in, and if they do, any chance they could scan it for me?
Anyone

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

Just off the top of my head wasn't he a Mountie and didn't he appear in the Hotspur/Victor.Damn middle age...I'm all a fussed now :lol:

Captain Storm

Post by Captain Storm »

The person I was thinking of after consulting my database was Calamity Chayne!!!!D'oh!He was indeed a blundering Mountie and appeared in the Hotspur & Crunch circa 1980.Of course it's probably not what you were looking for in the first place!Or was it? 8)

ajsmith

Post by ajsmith »

nah it wasn't! this is a one off charcater who appeared in Tom Patersons' Calamity James in the Beano! Quite a different chap!

Big Jock

Post by Big Jock »

I remember this one! The country singer's name was Hank Kerchief and one of his previous 'hits' was 'Put down that pool cue, Grandma, the baby's poultice needs changing'! Great stuff from Tam that stuck in my memory, alas I can't give a specific issue number! :D