Beano no. 1 on ebay now

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

yanobandy

Re: Beano no. 1 on ebay now

Post by yanobandy »

Hello! I'm new here, but i've been looking here a lot of times. :D

yanobandy

Post by yanobandy »

:offtopic2: I love the beano!

colcool007
Mr Valeera

Post by colcool007 »

Darn! I should have included that paragraph about the week ending 22 July 1939 as that intimated that you still were wearing your short pants at that time. :headbash:

42:1 I was tired, I have a cold and my brain is mush. That's my excuse. :roll:

As to age, someone has intimated on many an occasion that their formative years was during the decade that Bill Haley hit the big time. Plus we all know you were close to that bus pass! :lol: And I am surprised you didn't get six of the best from your French teacher as well. I know that my hands glowed a few times while I was going through school. Did laugh at the idea of you trying to hide the comic behind your book. And was in stitches at your recounting of your encounter with Milton.

Digi, you would not believe how comics were considered trash by many of the establishment. And their view was reinforced by the furore over Action. A clear case of style over substance. That's not to say there wasn't some justification to the campaign, but very little of it was aimed at looking after da peepul! It was mostly to justify political agendas of the time. After all, Action required a lot more brainpower than the average daily issue of the Scum.
I started to say something sensible but my parents took over my brain!

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

colcool007 wrote:As to age, someone has intimated on many an occasion that their formative years was during the decade that Bill Haley hit the big time.
Well, a lot of people's formative years were during the decade that Bill Haley hit the big time, and they're not dead yet either. Old Kiss Curl was just a chancer in my opinion, the real talent came later, apart from The Platters, of course.

Apologies for focusing on your incorrect use of was in your post, Col, but as you can discern, I did listen in my real formative years to my mother, who would have slid naked down a giant razor blade rather than use the wrong part of a verb when talking to me. Her usage was confirmed as correct, as if I would ever have doubted it, when I heard it again in my reception class. I was a quick learner! It's just a pity that I gave the same amount of trust to my father when he was explaining to me the ins and outs of how to select horses that were absolutely certain to pass the winning post first at 100/8 or better. :D

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »