Favourite/Least favourite Beano strips

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Steve Henderson

Re: Favourite/Least favourite Beano strips

Post by Steve Henderson »

Can anyone ellaborate on the "danny cover" that johnny mentioned? I have that one can't find much wrong with it. Not read it in a while though! I noticed around that time that two mike pearse singled outs were printed which were exactly the same story but a few of the characters were turned around. Same layout and everything though! Was this due to switching editors re-commisioning work then?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Basically it showed Danny dressed in jeans, a baseball cap, and his familiar jersey, armed with a paintgun, promising to paint the town red blue and yellow. But nothing inside related to it, neither did any future issue of either Beano Weekly or Max. Probably an aborted Bash Street relaunch. When I saw that, I thought "looks like Dave Sutherland finally retired" - which of course wasn't the case.

Hey, Mr Ed (Euan Kerr), can you explain it maybe?

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

The 'Danny cover' was from issue 3338, 15th July 2006. As Digifiend said, a noticeably revamped Danny appeared on the front cover of that issue, which had nothing to do with any story in the actual comic, and The Bash St Kids inside the comic were the same as normal and drawn by Dave Sutherland. Clearly, the 3rd page of the comic, which introduced the Dennis the Menace story, was designed as the cover but was shown inside. (Singled Out came before Dennis on the 2nd page, which was very unusual). It happened shortly after Alan Digby became Beano editor. It also turned out to be one of David Parkins' last new pieces of artwork for The Beano, and his final cover. By the following week, Dennis was back on the cover and everything was normal, or as normal as it ever gets in Beanotown! There was a thread on here at the time (it's probably on the third page by now).
As for the apparent Mike Pearse 'reprint', I found a similar mistake with a Ball Boy strip; a strip originally shown in June 2006 appeared exactly the same in a November 2006 issue.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

That all sounds right. I just hope Euan pops by at some point (I'm not aware of Alan having a presence on this forum) and can explain it. If it happened right at the beginning of Alan's tenure, it's possible it was actually Euan who commissioned it.

Conor B

Post by Conor B »

The Danny cover issue is brought up a lot on here, mainly because at the time we had a thread about it with everyone asking what was happening, yet next week it was fine.
Comic Genius Runner Up 2006

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Jonny, it was still on page 2: http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=677 I see the cover was never explained there either.