2010 Annual

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Digifiend

Re: 2010 Annual

Post by Digifiend »

Hmm, just tried checking the Specials gallery, but Al has a lot of gaps there - only 1994, 1998 and 1999 are shown. It's not any of them, nor is it 2000, which I've got (hmm, I ought to scan that and send it to Al then).

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson »

Take a closer look at Danny on the 'bookends' I think its two seperate artists, the way the lines dont measure up bother me. Also the way that some pages are pixilated, it bothers me in the weeklys but I can understand that with busy deadlines and stuff wouldn't have expected it in the annuals. Its a shame as it takes the quality down a notch. I noticed quite a few stuff that bothered me in the annual, I'd start a new thread on it but I don't want to seem ungratefull! the artwork and writings as fun as ever!

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

The Danny (Bash street kid) cleaning the blackboard is based on the title and back inside page of The Beezer book starring Baby Crockett cleaning the blackboard from the 1962..

well slightly anyway..

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

That probably has to do with the fact that current Beano editor Alan Digby used to edit The Beezer.

Both bookends look like Barrie Appleby's work to me, but I think they zoomed the front one more than the back one.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

The bookends aren't signed, these days in the Beano only Barrie and Jimmy Hansen don't sign their work. Looking at it, it's definitely Barrie's.

The colouring on that Baby Crockett bookend is brilliant. Although colouring done on computer is still good, I prefer traditional colouring. I like using felt-tip or marker pens on my own work.

Steve, maybe you could put your comments in the thread I started a while ago with a couple of Beano book questions? That way maybe you won't feel that you're just starting a whole thread whinging about the annual.

I liked this year's annual; the artists and writers did a good job on it. Also, there's a lot of Tom Paterson stuff, which is a good thing.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Steve Henderson wrote:Take a closer look at Danny on the 'bookends' I think its two seperate artists, the way the lines dont measure up bother me.
It's not two artists it's just a common occurrence in printing endpapers. It's difficult to get the two pages to line up perfectly because they're on separate pieces of paper, not a single spread.
Digifiend wrote:That probably has to do with the fact that current Beano editor Alan Digby used to edit The Beezer.
That Baby Crockett page is from 1962! Alan wasn't the editor that far back! :)

Lew
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I think he was Beezer editor from about 1987, and before then he was on the Beano staff - it's all mentioned in the History of the Beano. I believe that the famous 'Gnasher goes missing' story was his idea (though I could be wrong) and he definitely helped to create Ivy the Terrible, who was based partially on his daughter.

However, his Beezer roots do explain why Adrian the Barbarian and Fred's Bed were reprinted in the Beano, and to an extent even Ratz, which was based to an extent on Rats in the 1990s Beezer books, though I think they were totally different characters.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Done a post on these gems by Bill Ritchie..

http://petergraycartoonsandcomics.blogs ... -back.html

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson »

Digifiend wrote:Both bookends look like Barrie Appleby's work to me, but I think they zoomed the front one more than the back one.
Take a closer look at the styles on the front and back cover, look at things such as the hands and the way the ratz character changes also the difference in Dannys hat and the different winstons. Shadows are done slightly differently aswell

Thats how I came to think they were done by different artists, could both be Barrie Applebys work though, but for my money he won't have done them both on the same day!

Your right about the Tom P stuff Johnny, the more the merrier! Same goes for Hunt Emmerson, always good to see in the Beano!

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

They're definitely both Barrie, no question. It's a different rat on each endpaper anyway.