New Dennis TV Series

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

tbuk

Re: New Dennis TV Series

Post by tbuk »

Digifiend wrote:You do know D&G has 52 episodes, so the series will last a lot longer than 18 days.
Yes, but the BBC aren't showing them all at once, splitting them up into more manageable chunks of 3-4 weeks at a time. Much like Shaun the Sheep had 40 episodes when it debuted - it was split into 2 separate series of 20 each to avoid overkill and to get the most out of their investment, especially if they show 1 new episode every day. So the first "series" will be online until 7 days after the last episode airs, regardless of if you like their definition of "series" or not (I suspect they don't care either way :wink: )

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Personally I was expecting them to show them all then repeat them on a permanent loop. A series is every episode produced at the same time. In this case, 52 15 minute episodes and the same number of 1 minute shorts.

Sounds like they'll show some new episodes on CBBC, let BBC2 catch up, then show some more. Thanks for the info.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

Shaun the Sheep - what a gem! Anyone who has ever watched that series will know that it's wasted on children. There were loads of really good stories with parodies from films (Little Sheep of Horrors was one of the best) and in the end people ended up complaining that it was airing at 3.45. Maybe Dennis could end up doing the same? I doubt it, but it's always possible.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Jonny Whizz wrote:people ended up complaining that it was airing at 3.45. Maybe Dennis could end up doing the same? I doubt it, but it's always possible.

It already is!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I think Jonny meant Sunday afternoon repeats like Shaun had.

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

Digifiend wrote:I think Jonny meant Sunday afternoon repeats like Shaun had.
Well Jonny didn't say that, nor did he imply it, unless he is assuming that every member of this Forum is fully aware of the BBC's scheduling of Shaun the Sheep. That is unlikely to be the case because he does suggest that there are people who ignored the series altogether when he says
Anyone who has ever watched that series will know that it's wasted on children.
Furthermore, who are these people complaining that it was airing at 3.45? They could hardly be children because they would be home all day. Therefore they must be adults, but why would they complain about the programme appearing on a Sunday afternoon? Most of them would be home all day as well. Unless, like the Open University, the programme is scheduled for 3.45 AM, in which case wives nationwide might well be complaining about their husbands getting up in the middle of the night to go and see a sheep.

SID

Post by SID »

And another good episode tonight. I loved the fact that after all their efforts (Dennis, Gnasher and Dad) to get the curtain material back and cleaned, Mum had decided on something else. :D
Reading comics since 1970. My Current Regulars are: 2000 AD (1977-), Judge Dredd Megazine (1990-), Spaceship Away (2003-), Commando (2013-), Monster Fun (2022-), Deadpool and Wolverine (2023-), Quantum (2023-).

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I'm sorry I didn't make myself clear. Shaun the Sheep, when it first came on (must have been March 2007) was shown on CBBC at 3.45 PM. However, people started to complain about it being put on at this time, so they repeated the episodes at 6.00 PM on Sunday. I recorded all the episodes anyway.

I've not seen any of the new Dennis so far. What's it like?
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Somebody uploaded Smelling of Roses to Youtube. Good quality upload too, with only the titles and credits missing owing to time constraints on the upload (you can't normally go over 0:10:30, and the episode is 0:10:04). The other three episodes shown so far haven't been uploaded yet, I'd have expected episode 1 to show up before episode 2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiX9S9hP3I8

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Reporting Scotland had a report on Monday about Dennis's new look - Beanotown.com has just updated to mention this.
Watch the video here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8243807.stm
Beanotown: http://www.beanotown.com/index.php?id=70

Sidnny

Post by Sidnny »

I must admit, I do like the new series. :D
Reading comics since 1969. My comics are: The Dandy Xtreme (since 1969), 2000AD (since 1977), Judge Dredd Megazine (since 1990) and Spaceship Away (since 2003).

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson »

Just watched a whole one from start to finish, everyone envolved should be proud of what has been accomplished, a high quality childrens animation which fails to patronise the kiddies thereby making it viewable for most ages. Well done. The Beano staff have kept the leash tight enough to retain some of the original Beano charm (some of which cannot be translated to another medium) but loose enough to offer us all a bit of originality.

I may not have been happy about the Beano artists having to change their style to accomadate the animated Dennis (which works very very well on tv) and not happy about Gnasher loosing his stripes or Bea becoming a cute little baby, but those petty little gripes aside I was very happy with this TV incarnation of Dennis, works much better on 11 minutes than 22.

Again those on the forum that were envolved, well done indeed

skyromie

Post by skyromie »

Steve Henderson wrote:Just watched a whole one from start to finish, everyone envolved should be proud of what has been accomplished, a high quality childrens animation which fails to patronise the kiddies thereby making it viewable for most ages. Well done. The Beano staff have kept the leash tight enough to retain some of the original Beano charm (some of which cannot be translated to another medium) but loose enough to offer us all a bit of originality.

I may not have been happy about the Beano artists having to change their style to accomadate the animated Dennis (which works very very well on tv) and not happy about Gnasher loosing his stripes or Bea becoming a cute little baby, but those petty little gripes aside I was very happy with this TV incarnation of Dennis, works much better on 11 minutes than 22.

Again those on the forum that were envolved, well done indeed
which one did you view? i like what they did with pieface, he looks to be one of those visual funny guys. :tick:
The weather is windy.

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson »

Digifiend wrote:Red Kite are the animators, the production company.

Top Drawer are the animators. They did all the animation in the real sense of the word. Almost all animations are done overseas to save on costs, RedKite or Sticky would have been involved in the pre production and perhaps have done the inbetweens and layouts (and much more) but the backbreaking animation work would have been sent to the east to be completed, it saves on costs. I was involved in an animation that was produced entirely in the uk and the fella who was in charge obviously had money to burn because he spent a fortune getting us uk animators to do it all, especially as it was all traditional 2D animation.

So far I have only caught up with Smelling of Roses and The way of Den Do, I must say the latter was my fav so far. If Im wingeing about the difference between the comic and the film (which in my eyes should be viewed as seperate entities) I must say the Pieface from the 1998 series was much much much better than this one.

Are Walters mates supposed to be berty and spotty? Hes too tall, aaaargh I cant help but compare! sorry!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

No. Neither of them have spots! I think they're just generic characters, and Bertie Blenkinsop and Spotty Perkins have gone. The script was probably written before it was decided to drop those characters.