Beano Maximum viewing (yes, it's another terrible pun)

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Peter Gray

Re: Beano Maximum viewing (yes, it's another terrible pun)

Post by Peter Gray »

Max expressions are so samey more than ever.....it really needs more variety in the face and not just reversing the image...
every panel must be different is a good rule..

One school has all its schoolwork and homework done on computers..laptops..
Will kids ever use handwriting?.learn to spell? is this the future..it does look like it..

I much prefer paper and pen before computers are used..
Just seen Lews blog on this topic..

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Peter Gray wrote: One school has all its schoolwork and homework done on computers..laptops..
Will kids ever use handwriting?.learn to spell? is this the future..it does look like it..

Just seen Lews blog on this topic..
It does seem grim if kids aren't being taught handwriting now. Is that really the case?

Incidentally, with the Wacom Cintiq Tablet, as shown on my blog that you mention, one uses it as one if one would be drawing on paper. You draw onto the screen itself with a stylus. So whether drawing or handwriting no skills would be lost.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I agree. I find it far more enjoyable to draw on paper than I do to use computer software. I've never tried a Wacom tablet or anything like that but I can't say I'd particularly want to use one. Pen and paper gives you more of a feel for what you're doing.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Jonny Whizz wrote:
I agree. I find it far more enjoyable to draw on paper than I do to use computer software. I've never tried a Wacom tablet or anything like that but I can't say I'd particularly want to use one. Pen and paper gives you more of a feel for what you're doing.
Watch the videos Johnny. Dave Gibbons explains that the feel of the stylus on the screen is very much like drawing on board, so there's little difference and you have all the benefits that the electronic method offers:

http://ranieriprblog.info/watchmen-arti ... com-cintiq

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

I'm sorry I must have missed the bit where it still will use paper for some lessons..so sorry Lew..

I suppose I use the computer to change things on my cartoons..I just draw it first on paper..I have used a computer pen to draw and it did work fairly well..just I like to draw on scraps first working it out the same as the youtube clip shows..he keeps looking down on his desk so there must be some rough sketches already done on paper before..also I like to draw on my lap in a easy chair...drawing upright might be a bit hard on the back and the eyes..

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I use a tablet for colouring (rarely) and 'tidying up' (always!) comic pages. Mind you it's not one that's a screen in itself, those are super expensive! It's a lot more 'natural' than using a mouse though.

I actually do the drawing on paper, though. There's some things that i really have to be doing with the result right beneath me. Also even the best tablets have something like 2000 'sensitivity levels' for varying line thickness etc. Millions of years of evolution has given us a few more than that!

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

pen and paper is 'where it's at!' I admit I will break into computerized colour eventually, but I still appreciate the dynamism offered up by rough pencilling on paper: anyone who has ever tried to animate using the old method will know the exhilleration of putting down lighting sketches: the same goes for the rapid penciling when setting out a comics page....real creativity, on a shoestring budget as well.....

I'm sure that modern devices can recreate the same results synthetically: but that's all it is: a synthetic reproduction. The same results can be achieved for a fraction of the price, with pencil and paper, which are more reliable and less tempramental than modern tablet gizmos, Like modern digital cameras, these gadgets can pack in if dropped [there's not a lot of weight in them, so it's easily done]: you may break the lead in a pencil if dropped outside, but the 'write-off' [sorry] cost is negligible.

However, to those of you who have been seduced by the 'newer is better' technology, best of luck with your gizmos, but anyone who has seen John Lennon's original lyrics [to cite a creative endeavour of another sort] will know that they were hastily scrawled down: you need creative ability and talent in the first place, and just where are the Beatles of the 2010s, with all this new technology so easily available?

MikeC

Post by MikeC »

The Beatles were hardly Luddites. They and The Beach Boys did more to push recording technology than any other groups of their time, so I'm not sure what your point was, other than that they were quite open-minded about the advantages of technology?