Beano Website

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

BeanoMark

Re: Beano Website

Post by BeanoMark »

Now live.
Beano HQ

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Just started look at it..and joined..
now reading a 1951 Beano comic..which is wonderful.maybe a glimpse into the future when we can read many old Beanos online in this way..now back to Lord Snooty:)

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

Wow, i knew the early Beano had "some" text stories in it but not half the comic! Blurred lines between comics and story-papers indeed.
I appear to be the first person to "like" the 30's Beano on facebook too! I'm 27 next year, should i be worried? I could remember every page of the 90's one like it was yesterday too. In an interesting contrast, mind you, i didn't have to use the zoom feature once on the 90's issue but there's almost nothing of the 30's one you can read without using it!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Looks good. Just registered. Odd that if your date of birth is before 2000 you have to type in the year - and why do they not have some way of detecting that a date earlier than 1994 (i.e. over 16 years old) shouldn't need parental permission? Minor niggle though. Now to have a good look at the site.

Hmm, now why do I see Korky the Cat and Desperate Dan on the Retro Beano page? Looks like they used the cover of Beano and Dandy Heroes - I'm sure they could've easily photoshopped that bit to replace the Dandy characters with Beano ones. :?

EDIT: Cool, the Dennis and Gnasher section even has an episode from the TV show - Gnasher in Nappies. The Bash Street Kids section has a video too - an extract from one of the Beano videos, called Face the Music. Minnie has a Beano video extract too, Minnie Apples. Ivy on Safari is up there as well.

BeanoMark

Post by BeanoMark »

So, you DO like it then? :)
Beano HQ

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yeah... it's great. The 2000s Retro Beano doesn't seem to be working, but the preview image shows it to be a very recent issue anyway (it shows the top left corner with £1.35 on it) so I'm not missing anything there. I'd already seen the 1930s and 1980s retro issues, as they've been reprinted before. Have looked at the rest. They have videos, wallpapers, features, character profiles, they seem to have almost everything you'd want. I wonder how long it'll be before the old regulars identify themselves on the discussions though, lol. "Leader of the bring back (name of character) club" was a common appendage to many names on the old site, but I doubt they'll be used in user names now that you have to register! :lol:

The Numskulls page actually acknowledged the fact it used to be in the Beezer where they had Our Man instead of Edd. Good to see history embraced like that. A number of characters past and present also have their histories laid out in the retro section, compete with artist names and start and finish years. They're not dumbing down for the kids.

One thing they need to do is make proper use of their Twitter. It has Tweet buttons but no link to http://twitter.com/BeanoComic (which hadn't been updated last I checked). Their Facebook isn't nearly as active as Dandy's either.

Both Beano and Dandy's sites are big improvements on the old versions... and I didn't think the old Beano site was bad at all.

EDIT: Heh, check out the Super School section, they've revealed Bananagirl's exact relationship to Bananaman - she's his niece. Eric must have an older sibling then, one of her parents. :)

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

What I liked about the older website was the writer blog..found it interesting how they thought up new ideas..also liked seeing old comic pages of different characters..

Will we be seeing new things to view from the past?

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I liked the writer's blog too, but it seems that's one thing we've lost. They never did one two weeks ago, and the site was down when last week's would've normally gone up. I must admit though that those blogs weren't entirely truthful. Saying how they got ideas for Calamity James strips for instance. They didn't come up with those ideas one or two months ago like the rest of comic - not when they're 15 year old reprints!

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Digifiend wrote: EDIT: Heh, check out the Super School section, they've revealed Bananagirl's exact relationship to Bananaman - she's his niece. Eric must have an older sibling then, one of her parents. :)
I think originally the brief was that they were cousins, but "niece" works, and Uncle Bananaman will sound amusing if we ever use it.
The blog of British comics: http://lewstringer.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.lewstringer.com
Blog about my own work: http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/

Classic Comics

Post by Classic Comics »

Digifiend wrote:I liked the writer's blog too, but it seems that's one thing we've lost. They never did one two weeks ago, and the site was down when last week's would've normally gone up. I must admit though that those blogs weren't entirely truthful. Saying how they got ideas for Calamity James strips for instance. They didn't come up with those ideas one or two months ago like the rest of comic - not when they're 15 year old reprints!
The guy who wrote the blog about Calamity James may not have written the scripts a few months ago but he did write them - he's been on the Beano for over 20 years and was able to dig into his memory and experience to write about his older strips.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

I preferred the look of the old comments with the chibi characters "saying" them. Also the oft-reprinted "milestone" issues for samples is a bit "obvious". Maybe if the the retro section will be expanded with more than one issue per decade we could see some more random numbers like, say, 15, 209, 574, 1376, 2369 etc!

jsb97

Post by jsb97 »

Hi I'm new
I like the new website, but liked the old one better. Like the retro beano section best!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am jonnie12 on that site! :up:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Welcome to Comics UK jonnie! I see my comment mentioning this place got published unedited (of course, I didn't post a link, but a quick Google should lead people straight here!). I even got away with mentioning The Dandy (although, the link to their site is on every page now), something which was a rare sight on the old Beano website. Now when are they going to update the latest issue page?
http://www.beano.com/beano-comic/issue-3560
http://www.beano.com/beano-comic/issue-3561 - (currently says
Uh oh, looks like Gnasher was here!

We couldn't find the content you were looking for - though there's a suspiciously Gnasher-shaped hole chewed in the page...

Have a look on the Beano homepage to see if you can find what you were after!
:lol: 404 basically says the content has been gnashed!

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

:headbash: Latest issue page still hasn't been updated.

jsb97

Post by jsb97 »

:headbash: STILL The page has not been updated digifiend! :headbash: :headbash: :headbash: :headbash: :headbash: :headbash: *Head hurts- A LOT!*