Who was Billy Whizz's best artist?

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Mal Judge
33%
Steve Horrocks
No votes
David Parkins
33%
Trevor Metcalfe
11%
Vic Neill
22%
Graeme Hall
No votes
Wayne Thompson
No votes
Tom Paterson (2008 and 2010 annuals)
No votes
Nick Brennan
No votes

Total votes: 9

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

Yes, it's yet another thread about Billy (you'd never have guessed he was my favourite, would you?), but I'm conducting this out of interest because I noticed when I did the thread on the best artists for each Beano character, there didn't seem to be a consensus of opinion, unlike for example The Bash Street Kids, where most people said David Sutherland, Bob Nixon for Roger or Jim Petrie for Minnie. So which artist did you like best on Billy?

I personally liked Vic Neill's Billy Whizz. I enjoyed his artwork style, even though other artists were better at depicting Billy's whizzing. I also thought that the scripts were best around this time. I'd probably put either Trevor Metcalfe or Mal Judge second.

Maybe it isn't fair to include Tom Paterson, as he's only drawn him in annuals, but as he's done two now I think it's okay to put him in here.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Jonny Whizz

Re: Who was Billy Whizz's best artist?

Post by Jonny Whizz »

Feel free to leave comments! You can give reasons for your choice if you wish.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

I've tried voting for MAL J, Jonny, but it doesn't seem to register.......

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I'm not sure what's causing the problem there. There haven't been too many polls on this website before - I'm struggling to think of any previous ones.

Good choice I Spy. Though Vic's is my favourite, Mal has to be number 1 for capturing the essence of speed.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I am pleased to say that this poll has been entirely justified, because there is no consensus of opinion here, with Mal and Dave equal first with 33%, Vic third with 22% and Trevor fourth with 11%.

I'm not really surprised that people didn't vote for the others, with the possible exception of Wayne Thompson (though even his was quite clearly derived from Mal's version). Steve Horrocks ghosted Judge, Graeme Hall is unpopular, Tom Paterson has only done annuals, and Nick Brennan is new, it's probably too early to say yet.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

That's from a total of just 9 votes... with so few votes, it's easy for someone to have none. One vote less, and it would've been guaranteed someone would have no votes, even if everyone voted for a different artist.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

Fair enough, it's admittedly not really representative. I could have done this as a normal thread, but by doing it as a poll, it does at least show me which artist each voter prefers. For example, if someone says 'I don't like Billy Whizz' or 'I liked all the artists', then it's not very helpful if I'm trying to find out which one is deemed the best by you guys.

To be honest, I always expected that people would mostly vote for one of four out of Mal, David, Trevor or Vic.