Wallpapers

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

skyromie

Wallpapers

Post by skyromie »

Thinking that we should start a Wallpaper thread seeing as it's now, a very regular thing. Not sure if everyone is using them as wallpapers, but I think it's great that parents will encourage this for real, but as artforms they're pretty good.

I know Digifiend has mentioned that they're usually based on the front covers, but lately it seems that they're spreading the character count, surely that's a good thing and worthy of a mention (or new thread!) :notworthy:

Basically, just seen the Minnie snowball wallpaper, and it looks nothing like what's in the comic. So, they can't be just being lazy and using front cover pics all the time, this one is a mixture.
The weather is windy.

Digifiend

Re: Wallpapers

Post by Digifiend »

From the sounds of it, they had complaints that the wallpapers were always Dennis and never anyone else, so they're just rotating the characters now instead of using the covers - which are now just a random frame from Dennis's story anyway.

Classic Comics

Post by Classic Comics »

Digifiend wrote:From the sounds of it, they had complaints that the wallpapers were always Dennis and never anyone else, so they're just rotating the characters now instead of using the covers - which are now just a random frame from Dennis's story anyway.
There haven't been any complaints about the Dennis & Gnasher wallpapers but we're aware that a lot of our readers' favourite character isn't Dennis. It made sense for us to push Dennis & Gnasher while the animation was on its first run on TV but now we're expanding to involve other characters. Hopefully, each story will get its turn at being the wallpaper at some point in the next few months.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

Not really on topic, but which strips do you regularly write, Classic Comics?
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

ISPYSHHHGUY

Post by ISPYSHHHGUY »

cool new colour avatar, by the way, Jonny!

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

Thank you! I drew it myself and coloured it on computer using MS Paint. When I draw comic strips though, I tend to colour them by hand using marker pens or coloured pencils.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Drew it yourself? Wow Jonny, that avatar looks fantastic! :D

Steve Henderson

Post by Steve Henderson »

Nice work Johnny! You should post the full sized one up so we can take a closer look. I wouldn't mind seeing an old wallpaper, final panel from an old Baxendale Bash street kids or something, But with it being a website for kids I won't be expecting anything of the sort

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I'm planning to send off a few of my strips to the Beano soon, so I'll wait until I've got feedback before I post them up in full. However, I do have a Billy Whizz that I redrew from the comic (but in a different style to the original) that I'm not going to send off because it isn't an original idea, so I might put that up.

Classic Comics

Post by Classic Comics »

Jonny Whizz wrote:Not really on topic, but which strips do you regularly write, Classic Comics?
My regulars are Minnie the Minx, Fred's Bed, Ratz, 60 Second Dennis, Ball Boy and Super School. We take turns on writing the longer stories which appear roughly once a month. Lord Snooty was mine until a few months back when he was taken on by one of my colleagues here. We all pitch in with scripts to cover when people are off and a lot of scripts are discussed in script meetings, but that's my regular lot for the weekly at the minute.

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

Thanks for that. I was interested to know, and also you seem to be writing for some of the best strips at the moment.

skyromie

Post by skyromie »

The Fatty from Bash Street wallpaper this weekend is a corker! Looks like one of Tom Patterson's? It looks familiar, but I can't place it in my head.
The weather is windy.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Yeah, it's by Tom Paterson.

Classic Comics

Post by Classic Comics »

It's a Tom Paterson illustration, lifted from a Singled Out and then had some magic mojo done to it by our lay-out artist on his computer so that the lines wouldn't break up when the image was scaled up.

Classic Comics

Post by Classic Comics »

Jonny Whizz wrote:Thanks for that. I was interested to know, and also you seem to be writing for some of the best strips at the moment.
You can find something interesting to be had from writing most strips. I've been doing this for 25 years (give or take a few months) and in that time there are only 2 or 3 stories I can honestly say that I didn't enjoy writing at all. But I'm not going to say what they were. :) But at the moment, I'm enjoying the diverse stories, artists, art styles and styles of script needed.