Beano nominated for Magazine Cover of the Year Award

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

intune

Beano nominated for Magazine Cover of the Year Award

Post by intune »

I see the Beano's been nominated for a 'Maggie' - Magazine Cover of the Year Award. Best of luck.
You can see the cover, along with the others here on this link to the Guardian.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/gallery ... overs-2010

Raven

Re: Beano nominated for Magazine Cover of the Year Award

Post by Raven »

I thought most of those just look like typical nondescript consumer magazine covers and quite a few - especially Look and Doctor Who - were just a tasteless, cluttered mess with no design merits at all. Very few had any kind of individual character. I suppose the New Scientist one is best as it actually has a concept with a single striking image.

PaulTwist

Post by PaulTwist »

Mmm. The New Scientist one is very good, most of the rest aren't particularly inspiring. I'm sure Retro Gamer's had some more creative covers than that one over the last 12 months.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

There is a nice pun on there, referring to the Mega Drive as the Genesis of 16-bit gaming (Genesis being it's American name), but the picture is just a grid of sprites, which I agree isn't their best effort. The New Scientist picture is pretty clever, I agree. Most of the others look forgettable. You're right about DWA, it is too cluttered. At least the Beano has their stuff sectioned off in a consistant layout.

kezandluke

Post by kezandluke »

The Beano's cover seems to be the most fun out of the nominations shown there. It does seem, however, the covers that make the most impact - New Scientist, Stylist - are the covers with fewer sells and coverlines on with a clear and consistent message. While the Beano's cover is covered in sells (as the market demands), it still retains its message: this comic is fun.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

And it has the one specially drawn cover since Dennis was relaunched. Nice bit of work by Barrie Appleby ;)

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

If they're the best i'd hate to see the worst! Actually from some uninterested pleb like me the worst ones will probably look exactly the same as the best one.

Also i'd never even heard of several of those magazines... how can a new adventure comic, even all reprint, be impossible while people are buying a magazine about mowing lawns?