Dennis The Menace Easter Egg?

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

David

Post by David »

A few years back, I bought an Easter egg from Netto in Poynton, Cheshire. It had a Dennis The Menace mini book (paperback) that had loads of Dennis stories from the past and info about the three Davids' (cartoonists). However, before I finished reading it, I accidently put it in the bag of rubbish and threw it in a bin.
Is this egg/book still going as I would like to buy another?

kevf

Post by kevf »

No, but it's probably worth a few quid on eBay.

Or not, as the matter may be.

Kev F
http://comicfestival.co.uk
Kev F - Comic Genius

David

Re: Dennis The Menace Easter Egg?

Post by David »

kevf wrote:No, but it's probably worth a few quid on eBay.

Or not, as the matter may be.

Kev F
I've searched it on Google and eBay but can't find it, maybe it's rare. Should have bought all the Dennis Easter eggs that year. lol

Magnet

Post by Magnet »

OH! I had that too. Losts of old stories with the three Davids who drew him over the years, yeah, I remember that.

yanobandy

Post by yanobandy »

No, but i remember a few books that were released about 2008 with a couple of dennis stories.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

David wrote:A few years back, I bought an Easter egg from Netto in Poynton, Cheshire. It had a Dennis The Menace mini book (paperback) that had loads of Dennis stories from the past and info about the three Davids' (cartoonists). However, before I finished reading it, I accidently put it in the bag of rubbish and threw it in a bin.
Netto no longer exists in the UK. Got taken over by Asda, although my local branch became a Morrisons instead. So even if it was from last year, you'd be out of luck. I can only echo what Kev said, and suggest eBay.

chrisb

Post by chrisb »

Hi folks, new here.

Is this the book by any chance?

To be honest I can't remember where I got it from but it would explain why it say's "Promotional Copy Only, Not For Resale" on the back cover.

If your wanting to read it again, the contents are exactly the same as the Dennis the Menace 1951-2001 book published ten years back.

Jon

Post by Jon »

chrisb - I also have that book but I remember I was given it by DC Thomson representatives at a comic fair once. It too has the "promotional copy" message.

Of course, it's entirely reasonable that it was given with this Easter egg and DC Thomson had some left over, which is why they were giving it out.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

chrisb wrote:Hi folks, new here.

Is this the book by any chance?

To be honest I can't remember where I got it from but it would explain why it say's "Promotional Copy Only, Not For Resale" on the back cover.

If your wanting to read it again, the contents are exactly the same as the Dennis the Menace 1951-2001 book published ten years back.
What, the whole thing? That book was the same size as the Beano-Dandy retro annuals. That's over 100 pages. Seems pretty big for something given free with an Easter egg.

dishes

Post by dishes »

Digifiend wrote:
David wrote:A few years back, I bought an Easter egg from Netto in Poynton, Cheshire. It had a Dennis The Menace mini book (paperback) that had loads of Dennis stories from the past and info about the three Davids' (cartoonists). However, before I finished reading it, I accidently put it in the bag of rubbish and threw it in a bin.
Netto no longer exists in the UK. Got taken over by Asda, although my local branch became a Morrisons instead. So even if it was from last year, you'd be out of luck. I can only echo what Kev said, and suggest eBay.
It wouldn't be from last year as this query was posted in 2006.
Is it weird to have no interest in keeping or collecting free gifts?

My artwork: http://www.iancockburn.co.uk

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Ack, didn't notice the date. yanobandy, please don't bump up really old threads. :evil:

chrisb

Post by chrisb »

What, the whole thing? That book was the same size as the Beano-Dandy retro annuals. That's over 100 pages. Seems pretty big for something given free with an Easter egg.
It's actually not much bigger than a Beano Fun Size so it would fit in an easter egg box no problem.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

I was actually referring to the page count - although if it was shrunk down in height and width, that must've made some of the text rather small.

chrisb

Post by chrisb »

Sorry, what I should have said originally was that all the content is in the fifty years book. That's what I get for relying on my not always reliable memory and not checking first :oops: . As for the text, while small it's still readable.

felneymike
Fence Sitter

Post by felneymike »

It should be OK to bump old threads if you have new info though, especially if nothing got answered the first time round!
Anyway as for the "stuff handed out free at fairs" at Bristol one year they were giving out Beano-branded plastic toys (left over free gifts) on the way in. I got a wierd basketball game thing!
As for the guy who posted the query, if he ever comes back, the book may show up on ebay/charity shops. Also it may show up in school jumble sales if the kid who got it when they were young has grown up and is now selling stuff to buy a new phone/console etc!