Ivy has a new artist

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

diegotheterrible

Re: Ivy has a new artist

Post by diegotheterrible »

Post subject: Re: Ivy has a new artist
I like the way you show time passing in the same panel..

Also its nice Ivy is more a menace again..
The strip reminds me of Calvin and Hobbes..which I love..
also because its more cartooney you can do more fantasy stuff..or extreem stuff like when Ivy smashes through a window after being hit by a punch bag for example.
Thank you for the kind words. I'm constantly working to take my art a few steps further, so i'm pleased the strip has stricken a chord among fans and kids alike :)

diegotheterrible

By the way, if anybody at the forum will be nominating favorites for the Eagle Awards, remember me when you browse thru the "favourite newcomer artist" category :wink:

http://www.eagleawards.co.uk/nominations/

:xfingers:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Uh oh. Some folks will have split votes. Andy Fanton's name is there twice, and he's not the only one.

diegotheterrible

Fanton's work is awesome... i'll be content to be nominated if only to give him 'a run for his money', so to speak :D

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Ivy with a Chain saw now :D :lol:

diegotheterrible

Oh yeah, and look out for martial arts Ivy and cricket bat Ivy coming soon! :wink:

Little Squelchy Thing

Post by Little Squelchy Thing »

diegotheterrible wrote:Fanton's work is awesome... i'll be content to be nominated if only to give him 'a run for his money', so to speak :D
Oh! You're very kind, mister!

I WILL STILL TAKE YOU DOWN, THOUGH!

:D

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

diegotheterrible wrote:Oh yeah, and look out for martial arts Ivy and cricket bat Ivy coming soon! :wink:
The martial arts one is in this week's issue - and your Lego City astronauts ad is on the back cover too.

diegotheterrible

Oh! You're very kind, mister!

I WILL STILL TAKE YOU DOWN, THOUGH!
LOL! Bring it on Fanton! :lol:
The martial arts one is in this week's issue - and your Lego City astronauts ad is on the back cover too.
Sweet!

Check out the initial, much cooler version of the Lego page ( i was working crazy so my buddy Kote Carvajal helped me with the coloring, an unusual treat as i like to do my own coloring), which was sadly shot down but still worth showing off here at the forum :shhh:

Also, did anybody see the following illo by yours truly in the pages of BeanoMAX? My very first Dennis!!! :notworthy:

diegotheterrible

I just received official word of Ivy's cancellation upon Alan's retirement, so it'll probably be a while before i'm seen around here again...

In the meantime, i'll continue to freelance for DCT's WWE Kids and Wendy magazines, so feel free to check em out anytime (well, WWE Kids anyway, since Wendy is only available in Germany :cheers: ).

Take care! :wave:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

:( Sorry to hear that Diego. I hope they'll commission you to do something else later on. I don't think it was anything personal. Ivy was based on Alan's daughter, and I think that's probably the reason she's been axed - she was literally Alan's baby.

diegotheterrible

Indeed! It was such a great honour to be called by Alan to draw his creation, and an even greater honour to have become part of The Beano's rich history.
Here's to hoping they remember me if anything else comes up in the future! :xfingers:

Jonny Whizz

Post by Jonny Whizz »

I'm quite shocked Ivy's been dropped, especially as you only started drawing Ivy a few months ago. I would have still thought she was reasonably popular with the readers, so maybe it was a personal decision by Alan to drop 'his' character.

I too hope you find another strip in the Beano, Dandy or another comic soon. You were making an excellent start with Ivy, it would have been nice to see where this would have led in the long term.
'Michael Owen isn't the tallest of players, but his height more than makes up for it' - Mark Lawrenson

Peter Gray

Post by Peter Gray »

Sorry to hear that..I was enjoying what you were doing...maybe The dandy will be calling you soon..Cuddles and Dimples :wink: :)

swirlythingy

Post by swirlythingy »

Tragic news, especially with the strip so recently rescued from reprints, but unfortunately inevitable.

Considering that one of Digby's first actions as editor was to cancel Calamity James, a strip created by his predecessor Kerr, it's hardly surprising that upon assuming the mantle Stirling didn't hesitate in cancelling Ivy, a strip created by Digby.

Which raises the question... who did Kerr abolish when he took over in 1984? The Nibblers, perhaps?

Also... who's on the distant future hitlist? Which, if any, of today's characters did Stirling have a hand in?
Help! Help! We're being held prisoner in a signature factory!