Not enough Fun-Sizes to go around...

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Digifiend

Not enough Fun-Sizes to go around...

Post by Digifiend »

Looks like the Beano ran out of Fun-Sizes to give away, so the whole 100 pages claim on the bag this week is a big fat joke. My copy came with a "Max prank pack" instead.

So, that's false advertising. They shouldn't claim "100 pages" if they can't honour it.

Did anyone else not get the advertised gifts?

big bad bri

Re: Not enough Fun-Sizes to go around...

Post by big bad bri »

my whs had 3 diff fun sizes to pik from i got fun size 288 the 3 bears and i also saw a dennis the menace and a ball boy one but no prank packs.
brian

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

They usually have an insert saying to contact the editor if you want the advertised gift.

The gift insertion is done after the printing by an outside firm, if I remember rightly from previous threads on these forums. I remember that the shop closest to my last two houses regularly got copies with subbed gifts - even with Easons and Menzies having merged some years ago, I think there are still two distributors on the go in NI.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

The shop in question is Martin McColl's. My problem isn't really that they substituted a gift, it's the fact that they effectively said that the Fun-Size would definitely not be subbed by advertising "100 pages of comic fun". A claim which they should only make if it's 100% guaranteed. It would only take one person to complain to the ASA (I won't) and DCT will be in hot water. They don't need that.

steelclaw
DC Skelton

Post by steelclaw »

Digifiend wrote:The shop in question is Martin McColl's. My problem isn't really that they substituted a gift, it's the fact that they effectively said that the Fun-Size would definitely not be subbed by advertising "100 pages of comic fun". A claim which they should only make if it's 100% guaranteed. It would only take one person to complain to the ASA (I won't) and DCT will be in hot water. They don't need that.
Well you probably have a collectors item now so stop moaning :P

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

AndyB wrote:The gift insertion is done after the printing by an outside firm, if I remember rightly from previous threads on these forums.
As far as the story papers are concerned that's perfectly correct, Andy, but you did still get the free gift that had been advertised the previous week. When did Thomsons bring in this idea about alternatives, and how does it work? Do you have to send in the gift you do get, in order to get the one you really wanted in exchange, or can you tell them in advance? I suppose the latter might just work if you are a subscriber, but it does sound like a whole lot of unnecessary bother.

big bad bri

Post by big bad bri »

they probably removed all the fun sizes so they could prob sell em seperately :lol:

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

They'll have been back issues by then, bri. Phoenix, I have to agree, it is a lot of bother.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

I'm pretty sure it's true for comics. There's no mention on the slip of returning the subbed gift to get the right one.

The substitution method appears to be the baggers have a stock of recent gifts they can use if they under-order the correct gifts, and a flyer should be enclosed to apologise.

Lew Stringer

Post by Lew Stringer »

Phoenix wrote:
AndyB wrote:When did Thomsons bring in this idea about alternatives, and how does it work? Do you have to send in the gift you do get, in order to get the one you really wanted in exchange, or can you tell them in advance? I suppose the latter might just work if you are a subscriber, but it does sound like a whole lot of unnecessary bother.
I think every publisher now features the small print 'Gifts may vary' on the ad for the free gifts in the previous issue. As I understand it this is to protect the publisher if the gift has to be changed at the last minute (low supply, faulty toy, poison flavour sweets etc). Otherwise retail giants can fine the publisher for not giving the gifts advertised.

Speaking of Fun-Size comics, you may have noticed that they're no longer listed on the D.C. Thomson website:

http://www.dcthomsonshop.co.uk/Group-Vi ... itles.aspx

Phoenix
Guru

Post by Phoenix »

AndyB wrote:The substitution method appears to be the baggers have a stock of recent gifts they can use if they under-order the correct gifts
Thanks for the explanation, Andy. However, if the gift that the comic purchaser actually wanted, and therefore requested as a substitute, is the very one that was under-ordered in the first place, he/she wouldn't get it anyway. If ever there was a case for returning to the story paper system of the same gift for every purchaser, this would appear to be it. The only occasions when Thomsons would allow variations were when they gave away things like used foreign postage stamps, when they made it clear in advance that not everybody would necessarily receive the same stamps, or cards to make up one of say three possible sets, or where the aim was to collect say any seventy out of a hundred cards, and then send them in to Thomsons to get for example a cricket bat or a football in exchange. In both these instances swapping with your friends was actively encouraged.
Lew Stringer wrote:poison flavour sweets
I think you can buy such things from the trolley on the Hogwarts Express.

Digifiend

Post by Digifiend »

Lew Stringer wrote:Speaking of Fun-Size comics, you may have noticed that they're no longer listed on the D.C. Thomson website:

http://www.dcthomsonshop.co.uk/Group-Vi ... itles.aspx
That's not good news. I wonder if they're being discontinued?