This week's issue Take 2

Discuss or comment on anything relating to D.C.Thomson's second longest running comic. The home of Dennis the Menace. Has been running since 1938.

Moderator: AndyB

Kid Robson

Re: This week's issue Take 2

Post by Kid Robson »

Shiner wrote:Tomorrow I'm going to buy my six year old daughter her first ever Beano (rather than Pretty Foal in Pink weekly with free gift furry handbag). I'll let you know what she thinks of it (unless I find snot and fart gags in abundance which means I'm putting it back on the shelf for another year...)
Took a look at The Beano in WHS today. The first two inside pages are mere filler material, lacking any kind of visual impact at all. Seems to me that, although a comic can stand having an ad or editorial on page 2, page 3 should have a striking image to hit the readers right in the face. Now, in answer to one or two requests for me to say something positive about the comic - the staples were nice and shiny.

Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Interesting discussion!
Kid Robson wrote:It shouldn't be too hard to do a Beano that would appeal to people of our age (big kids) and kids of today.
I happen to think that's exactly what they're trying to do. The new Ball Boy, for example, could almost run in Viz. It's very funny. Unfortunately, it's not well drawn. The traditional Beano strips were never really funny, but beautifully drawn.

I think there's actually a general trend which extends beyond comics and into more general cartooning, illustration and children's books; towards cruder artwork. It's hip not to be able to draw, apparently. Have a flick through a recent copy of Private Eye or The Spectator. Or have a look at Cressida Cowell's illustrations for her How To Train Your Dragon books.

I think it's a result of the success of Quentin Blake and the like. By the way, I'm not saying Blake can't draw, but editors don't seem to be able to distinguish between the genius of his untutored line, and someone who really is just scrawling away. Either that, or they just don't care any more because as I said, cruder styles are 'in'.

The idea, the writing, is king nowadays. I do think the Beano is funnier than it ever was, but I don't see why we can't have both:- Funny strips with great artwork. Let the funny writers write, but give the scripts to a decent artist. Everyone wins.

Well, that's my forpen'orth, anyway.

AndyB
Throgmorton

Post by AndyB »

That's quite enough. From the rules:

2: Respect other people’s views and respond constructively, not insultingly or antagonistically.
3: Do not go out of your way to prove a point (this is not a court of law!).

I will start Take 3.